THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Wind and how does it affect your range sessions?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wind and how does it affect your range sessions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
Do you pay much attention to the wind when heading to the range?

I've made up a set of loads for my 204 that have been ready to go for about 2-3 months now, but i can't find the right day to hit the range.

I wouldn't really worry about the wind so much if it weren't for load development. And, since I'm shooting at 300 yards, I like to keep the wind to a minimum. Also, I wouldn't worry about the wind with a larger caliber or shorter shooting distance.

If I were just practicing then the wind wouldn't be a problem either, I just like to keep all variables to a minimum when developing loads.

So, what are your limits when it comes to the wind?

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I normally "develop" loads at 100 yards, so my local "no go" wind speed for developing loads is normally 10-15 mph. I have been known to shoot however in 15-20 mph winds if I am not testing ammo.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I normally do not ajust for wind on the range I use it to learn were the bullets are going to go in the wind. At least for a couple of groups then adjust as nessacary to hit the target

If I need to sight in a rifle I normally wait for a windless day or evening.

But then I have a personal range I can use any time

The other day I was shooting at 300 yards with a freinds 308 AR10 I told him well need about 6 inchs of windage but Iam going to hold dead on then we'll measure the bullet strike.

Sure enough the group was 6 inch to the right. Being a fairly new shooter he asked how did you know I just lots of paractice.

One needs to shoot in the wind to know how to hit in the wind.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on what you stated, it would be an estimate that the wind was coming from left to right, full value wind or 9 to 3 o'clock and wind speed would be at some 7 mph. Range/distance to target x est. wind speed, divide total by 1000(full value wind only, directly from 3-9 or 9-3) gives no. of minutes of windage adjustment. Your conditions were 300yds x 7mph Wind speed / 1000 = 2.1moa Left Adjustment. If wind is not directly from left to right or right to left, go ahead and divide by 1000 and take half the adj. derived. Does not apply to all calibers, but does for 308/06 class of calibers and typical bullet weights used. Some Long Range Prone matches/iron sights or other situations do not permit sighters and some system of doping the wind is helpfull. Shooting for small groups to determine potential of rifle/load in no wind conditions is fine, but as mentioned practicing with wind is also helpfull and very practical. Next time at the range give the formula a try and see if it works for you. Just keep thinking the "wind is my friend."

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I don’t test loads above 8 mph. I’ll shot for the fun of it up to 20 mph. I’ll shot if I have too up to 25 mph. After 25 mph, I’ll go home, drink beer and watch TV. It’s just a waste of ammo at that point.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wind what stinking wind ?. My velocities generally run from 2650-3550 FPS no wind is going to catch that .

I worry little about wind with in 300 meters. However I don't shoot in hurricanes tornado's or gales .

Now if we're speaking of 500 -1000 meters .Oh baby that's a whole different game then 8+ mph is going to

effect everything depending on directional wind and it changes . Here's a fair assessment of wind

doping . Remember the wind angles !!!.

http://www.longrangehunting.co...les/reading-wind.php

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
Wind what stinking wind ?. My velocities generally run from 2650-3550 FPS no wind is going to catch that .

I worry little about wind with in 300 meters. However I don't shoot in hurricanes tornado's or gales .

Now if we're speaking of 500 -1000 meters .Oh baby that's a whole different game then 8+ mph is going to

effect everything depending on directional wind and it changes . Here's a fair assessment of wind

doping . Remember the wind angles !!!.

http://www.longrangehunting.co...les/reading-wind.php

archer archer archer

Doc, the wind angles don’t treat me so nice, so I'll keep my load testing at less than 8 mph. But I’ll sit back and watch you. I’ll enjoy the day, as long as I’m not sitting in the wind. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Take wind flags, pull the trigger on the same condition or wait for 0 wind day.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
If you have a choice. There is a difference between flagged wind and no wind for load testing.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Shot in 20 mph wind past 1k today. Not friendly.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243winxb:
Take wind flags, pull the trigger on the same condition or wait for 0 wind day.

+1 and learn to use it---- then the wind is your friend...

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get some wind flags. They can be as simple as a stick with some surveyors tape tied to it. Use two or three between you and the target. You don't need one at the target. By then, it's too late. Try to shoot each time when the angle of the tape is the same. Like anything else, there is a learning curve.
Are you practicing at 300 yards or load developing at 300 yards? I do my load developing at 100 yards. If you're practicing, do you think on game day the conditions are gonna be perfect?? Smiler
Bench shooters will tell you, the ones that consistantly win are the ones that can dope the wind the best.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
Wind what stinking wind ?. My velocities generally run from 2650-3550 FPS no wind is going to catch that . ...
Hey Doc, Are you shooting in a tunnel? rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Wind Flags. The first flag should be placed at 25 yards. The bullets course will be most effected the earler it is pushed off course and before the bullet stabilizes (goes to sleep). Most bullet will sleep around 75 yds or before 100 yds. The more flags the better, plus watch trees, grasss , leaves, anything that moves.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:

Are you practicing at 300 yards or load developing at 300 yards? I do my load developing at 100 yards.

I use the Audette Method for intitial load development to determine a couple powder loads that show promise. Once those have been found, I move to the 100 yards range to fine tune the potential powder weights found.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter says,
quote:
But then, I have a personal range I can use any time

Some of you guys really piss me off...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or, if you could do it line the wind in your face or at your back.It works for me.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It depends on what I am trying to accomplish at the range. If I am trying to guage wind & my shooting in it at 300yds, then I go for a windy day. If I am just looking to shoot the smallest groups I can at 300yds, then it's the calmest day I can get to.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey GrayBird, I got caught up in Doc's joke and forgot to respond. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Do you pay much attention to the wind when heading to the range?
Absolutely. It has a significant bearing on "what kind" of shooting I'll be doing.

quote:
I've made up a set of loads for my 204 that have been ready to go for about 2-3 months now, but i can't find the right day to hit the range. I wouldn't really worry about the wind so much if it weren't for load development. And, since I'm shooting at 300 yards, I like to keep the wind to a minimum.
Completely agree. I've found the wind typically abates right at Sunrise and Sunset, for the most part. That is not always true, but often enough to make sure I'm ready to shoot Development Loads when it does.

quote:
Also, I wouldn't worry about the wind with a larger caliber or shorter shooting distance.
I don't really agree with this. Even large-heavy, high Ballistic Coefficient(B.C.) Bullets will be affected by wind. But not nearly as much as any kind of lower B.C. Bullet though.

quote:
If I were just practicing then the wind wouldn't be a problem either, I just like to keep all variables to a minimum when developing loads.
I agree. When the wind is up, it allows me the opportunity to "learn" a bit more about judging the Wind Effect on the specific Bullet. Difficult at best and often a pure guess. But observing the tree, grass and weed movement is a serious benefit for those of us who actually Hunt in windy conditions. You can not help but learn how difficult determining how much the wind actually moves a Bullet. The result (which is a HUGE Secret) is that due to Practicing during Windy Conditions, most learn not to shoot at l-o-n-g distances in those conditions.

quote:
So, what are your limits when it comes to the wind?
Only through actual Practice in Windy Conditions will a person learn how it changes a Bullets flight. Each B.C. is different, the change in Velocity between Loads/Firearms is different and shifting Wind Angles and Speeds is different enough to make a pure numerical response impractical.
-----

Develop Loads at Twilight and on windless days. Practice in the wind and learn to read it, or learn your limitations, either is important.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i shot a 6 pt. white tail about 2 years ago with my .260 remington 120 nosler bil. tip. at an honest 318 yrds. The wind was blowing left to right. I aimed 6" high and 6" to the left from where i wanted my shot to be placed. hit right in the heart & lung area

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote