Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Options for Neck Sizing Only Dies?
 Login/Join

posted

What are good neck sizing only dies besides Lee collet dies? I want to use them for 22 hornet and .303.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Redding bushing type dies. I have both the Type 'S' and competition style and either will do you a great job.

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What are good neck sizing only dies besides Lee collet dies? I want to use them for 22 hornet and .303.

If we are talking standard "screw-in" dies, in a word, too few. Apart from the Redding mentioned above, darn few other than the Collet dies. Problem: most NS dies won't support the case sufficiently during the sizing operation. In that case, a FL sizer is better. However, both the Redding bushing dies and the Lee Collet dies are excellent. In either, you might have trouble finding a ready made die for the .303.

IN either a NS die or a FL die, consider if you can use a different method of expanding your case - e.g. use a Redding expander in separate step. Exception: the Collet die does pretty well with its standard expansion mandrel.

Naturally, there are (more expensive) custom neck dies out there - reputedly better than the Reddings, e.g. allowing you to control not only the amount your neck is sized, but also other parts of your case. Most of these dies are a tad spendy, though. There are Wilson dies for use in Arbor presses, naturally.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Redding neck size dies on all my rifles with the carbide expander button.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have about 5 different Hornady neck sizing dies, and I've had nothing but great results from these.
They even made a custom NS die for my 404 Jeffery, and the cost was quite reasonable (I apologize but I can't remember exactly what they charged me as it was in 1998, but it was somewhere around $35).

My only caveat about the Hornady dies is that you must carefully tighten the stem of the expander plug, as the cartridge tends to pull it out of the die on the downstroke.

I never full length size cases for my hunting rifles anymore (unless I get a rare one that doesn't chamber easily, or I am using virgin brass).

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote