Find
Notify
Tools

Should be An In teresting Test!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Gentlemen,

We have acquired a McMillan rifle with 3 inter-changeable barrels.

2 are in 308 Winchester, one is 16 1/4" long and the other is 24" long, and one in 300 Winchester magnum, which 26" long.

All barrels have muzzle breaks.

I thought it might be interesting to test this rifle with all 3 barrels, with and without the muzzle break, with the same loads.

I have no idea what the results might be, but I am looking forward to see them.

I will limit my testing to only 2 bullets weights, namely 168 and 180 Match Kings.

-

[ 10-23-2002, 16:43: Message edited by: Saeed ]

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Interesting set-up!

First, where did you aquire this rifle?
Second, could this be had with a left handed action?
Third, could a series of barrels, say for the 264 Win, 300 Win, 375HH, and 458 Win. be done?

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, I don't see a problem since they all have the same bolt face, unlike Saeed's rifle.
Also, one could easily make a rifle like this, first you need a long action to accomadate the longest cartridge in the group. Second, since you are going from a 470 bolt face to a 532, you would need a interchangable bolt. Then all you need is a switch barrel job, which is quite easy to acomplish on a Remington 700 action.
Anyways there should be some intresting load data to compare between the 2 308 barrels, I would personally like to see if there really is any difference in using a faster powder in a shorter barrel.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THANKS SAEED--I just won a browning BLR lightning with a 20" barrel in .308--am looking forward to your results regarding the velocity differences.
Once again your time benefits me!!! Thanks again.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I bought this rifle last year at a gunshow here in Dubai, but never got around to shooting it.

It has two bolts, one for the 308 and one for the 300 Winchester magnum.

You can have as many barrels as you wish, you only need another bolt if you wish to have a cartridge with a different head size.

I am not sure if this is available in left hand.

Well, things did not start well with this test.

Walter laid the rifle down, and I took the above photo. I then gave him a Nikon 6.5-20 scope to mount on the rifle.

Walter: "This a Nikon scope, I never knew Nikon made scopes as well. I thought they only made cameras"

Me: "They have been making scopes and medical equipment for years, so stop talking and put that scope on the rifle"

Walter: "Are you sure you want me to put this scope on this rifle? You are sure you don't want to give a Leupold to put on it?"

Me: "Stop yep yapping and put that scope on!"
Walter: "OK, if it does not work, don't blame me."

Our genius found that the scope rings that came with the rifle are for 30mm scopes, and instead of letting me know this, he went ahead and installed a 1 inch scope in these over sized rings. The scope was of course totally loose in the mounts.

After he finished he said:

"Ok, here's your gun, I want to see how you shoot it now"

Me: "Would you like to sight it in for me?"

Walter: "No I would not. You know I do not like shooting magnums, especially this one"

I went over, and saw the mess he made, looked at him, and said: "Are you an idiot or something?"

Walter: 'No, you are the nitwit! You gave me orders to mount THIS scope on THIS rifle using THESE mounts. I did, so why are you complaining?"

I knew it was not worth arguing with him, so I gave him a Zeiss Diavari 4-12 to put on the rifle.

I hope to start testing it later today.

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed/

HI HI

I just did the same thing Walter did with a cheapie Simmons, funny how the scope seems to keep sliding back into my eye. HI

As to the serious side of this post: I've got a left handed 700 in 7mm Rem. that I'm going to do something with. When I get around to it, I'll post here. If I'm still posting here. Seems as if the 45/70 debate has taken a turn to the ugly at the African Thread. Too bad we have be brow beat with sarcastic humor and idiot language. I'm in construction so crappy language is not new to me, I just hate seeing on the tube.

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

We have to abandon this test for the time being, as the stock on this rifle has cracked behind the tang.

I will have to fix it, and then continue once that is done.

<green 788>
posted
A McMillan stock cracked? [Eek!]

I thought they were indestructable... [Confused]

Dan