New
Find
Notify
Tools

270WSM
 Login/Join

<aussie john>
posted
Hi guys, been to busy working to do anything else!
Just a question regarding the 270WSM and how it performs stacked up against 270Win?

Is it really an improvement or as I feel it really couldn't be that much better in the field.

From the far side
aussie john

<Baldeagle 713>
posted
I own a Winchester Coyote 270 WSM. It shoots sub inch groops at 100 yds. Muzzle Valosity's average 3000 fps. I don't own a 270 winchester so I hope some one can tell ya someting about them.

<Don Martin29>
posted
In the field most would say that any difference would be hard to figure out. It might come down to what rifle you want. If you want a new one then the decision confronts you.

My new M70 Stainless Classic in 7mm WSM with it's 24" bbl weighs about the same as a wood stocked Featherweight with a 22" bbl. Most of this weight savings is due to the very thin plastic stock. So if such a rifle interests you then you could gain more velocity should you want it. For sure there is no reason to get the 270 Weatherby now. With the rimless WSM's you can avoid the troublsome belt and freebore too.

Being a M70 fan I would pick a pre 64 Featherweight in .270 if the price was less than $700. Otherwise I would get a SS Classic in whatever WSM you like. If the rifle was to be used for varmints I might pick the .270 WSM. If some bigger game might be the main use then the 7mm WSM makes sense.

It's too early to tell if both the .270 and 7MM short mags will survive.

www.shortmags.org

<Baldeagle 713>
posted
I shure do like mine. I have a 6-18 Leupold scope on it.
I have a friend who has a winchestr 270 and he takes Pa. White Tail deer with his 270 just about every year. I shot my 270 WSM at the Williamsport 1000 yrd Bench club and shot a 27 inch group with it SO as far as making the trip to 600 yards it should do the job. BUT the 7mm in a burger bullet has better balistic coificiancys. Then again I'm comparin apples and oranges. I'll go visit my friend and we'll do some comparison shootin after I get a crony and I'll let ya know.