Notify
Tools

.460 Rowland with Lehigh bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
Hi folks,

I have a box of Lehigh 170gr Controlled Fracturing bullets and 200gr Xtreme Penetrator bullets.

I can't find any load data for this. I know that Underwood ammo make .460 Rowland ammo with these bullets, but they will not tell you anything. Because I am from Europe, I have to reload, because here is not any factory ammo available.

Powders available here are Lovex D037.1 (like Accurate #7), Vectan SP2, Vihtavuiori N105 and maybe Hodgdon Longshot. I have ordered IMR 800-X 8 months ago and it is not still here.

Any help out there?

Jiri

Posts: 2104 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to assume that you did write to Lehigh and ask them.

In the past, they have been very helpful to me in getting load data for my 300 Whisper/300AAC.
I do realize that your 460 is a bit of a rarity for reloading info but perhaps they can tell you if there is data from other bullet makers that is SAFELY usable, ie, give you at least a starting point.
Never having loaded for a Rowland, I can only guess that you might need a different range of powder speeds but I really don't know that to be true.

Good luck in your pursuit,

Gary

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Response from Lehigh Defense:

..................................................................................................
#Jiri,
#
#Here is some load data we have for those bullets.
#
#170gr CF use 16gr of Acc#7 or 13gr of PowerPistol
#200gr Xtreme Penetrator use 14gr of Acc#7 or 11.5gr of Ramshot True Blue.
..................................................................................................

The COAL for 460 Rowland is the same as for .45 ACP. For .45 ACP, they recommend 1.23", but when asked about COAL:

#"As far as I know the OAL should be 1.275" as per their standard spec?"

Load data looked very "overdosed" and of course 1.275" with this kind of bullet will not fit into magazine and/or chamber. I tried it with Quickload (which is pretty accurate with .460 Rowland):

As you can see, the pressures are insane and are even higher for right COAL. Maybe, these are loadings for some revolver or rifle, but never ever for semi-auto pistol.

What do you think about that?
Jiri

Posts: 2104 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote