Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When to trim brass?
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering, when should I trim my brass?I trim them all to the same length (dictated by the shortest one in the batch) at the initial loading. This is done for the sake of uniformity? After the first firing they are all different lengths again. They are only slightly longer and no where near max. Should I trim them to the samelength again or not worry until one reaches max? I realize that repeated trimming will shorten the life of the cases. How do you guys do it. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Posts: 2 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Chromecrow:
It sounds like your using once fired brass. I ofte find that new brass is pretty close to max length and some usually have to be trimmed right out of the box. When that happens, I trim them all to minimum length.
Case trimming is the one part of reloading that I just HATE doing and I usually put it off as long as I can.

Let me ask you a question that will help you answer your own question. WHY are you reloading? If the answer is economy, then don't sweat it. just check the length after each firing, and when they reach max length, trim them back.
On the other hand, if your answer is extreme accuracy, then you need to make every round as uniform as possible. i.e same length, same brand, same lot, fired same # times, and so on.

I hope that helps.

------------------
Don't tread on me!
Pennsylvania Frank

Posts: 1974 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Hornady SST's have the strangest cannelure placements. I'll trim mine to line up the crimp properly. Often it is a little shorter than the trim to length.

[This message has been edited by Longbob (edited 03-01-2002).]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee case trimming system. It consists of a Case Length Gauge and Shell Holder (a different one for each different caliber) + Cutter and Lock Stud (same for every caliber), and I trim each case with each loading. I put the lock stud in the chuck of an electric drill and use that to spin the cases. While I'm spinning the case, after trimming it, I also use a chamfer tool to chamfer the inside and outside of the case mouth. If I want to clean the cases -- and I usually do -- I can also spin them in a cloth I've saturated with Remington Brite Bore cleaner.

The Lee system is non-adjustable; it gives its pre-set length for each case, and that pre-set length is a bit under maximum. This system is quick and reliable and trims all the cases to the same length. It also causes all the case mouths to be squared to the lengthwise axis of the case. I like this system a lot and recommend it highly.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 03-01-2002).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LE270:
I use the Lee case trimming system. It consists of a Case Length Gauge and Shell Holder (a different one for each different caliber) + Cutter and Lock Stud (same for every caliber), and I trim each case with each loading. I put the lock stud in the chuck of an electric drill and use that to spin the cases. While I'm spinning the case, after trimming it, I also use a chamfer tool to chamfer the inside and outside of the case mouth. If I want to clean the cases -- and I usually do -- I can also spin them in a cloth I've saturated with Remington Brite Bore cleaner.

The Lee system is non-adjustable; it gives its pre-set length for each case, and that pre-set length is a bit under maximum. This system is quick and reliable and trims all the cases to the same length. It also causes all the case mouths to be squared to the lengthwise axis of the case. I like this system a lot and recommend it highly.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 03-01-2002).]

WHAT HE SAID! Except I use the "Zip Trim". It realy works great!

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chromecrow:
[B]I was wondering, when should I trim my brass . . .

Part of an answer depends on what caliber/type of round you use. If you are reloading a .45 ACP or other semi-auto round that is seated in the chamber via the case edge, then it's my understanding that the case should always be trimmed to the proper length in order to assure proper fit and safe operation. A too-long case will not be chambered properly; a too-short round may experience a mis-fire due to the firing pin not being able to engage the primer enough. On the other hand, if it is a full-rimmed case such as a .357 magnum, it is seated via the rim. Accordingly, I have a differant philosophy when reloading for my T/C .32 H&R magnum (full-rim) which has a lot of freebore as opposed to reloading .45 ACP's.

I think the critical requirement is to make certain all your reloads do not exceed SAAMI COL's.

My $.02,
Dino

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
The only time I trim my brass is when they get too long, or when I am going to crimp the bullets in place, as you need uniform case length for a uniform crimp.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I trim after every third firing. I also use the Lee case trimming tools that LE270 uses.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I'm being overly anal, but, part of my case prep after EVERY firing is to trim the cases.

I keep a min. length case in each die box to set the trimmer to proper length, and, trim each one after they're re-sized. It takes about as long to pop them in the trimmer and trim them as it does to check each one for proper length, I think.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LE270:
I trim each case with each loading.

I should add that I load only bottle-necked rifle cartridges. I do not load for handguns, nor do I load for straight-walled rifle calibers. I do not know how the Lee system would work for those.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote