THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    need opinions on 30-06 relods with Nosler e-tip bullets 168 grs

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need opinions on 30-06 relods with Nosler e-tip bullets 168 grs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted
Rifle remington 7400 carbone, available powders VV N135, VV N140, VV N150, FEDERAL primers.

With partition 180 grs bullets, due to the fact that are shooted in a semiauto with a very short barrel, I always used N135 or N140, even if it was traced slower powders like N150 and N160.

Now in some of our hunting areas is mandatory to use the monolithics bullet. and here the doubt, using the 168 grs E-Tips, what to do? Should I follow the manual or the experiences that made me use faster powders, paying a lot of attention to avoid hight pressions while having good performances?
Thank you for your help and opinions.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I would go with n150. It is closest to h4350 in burn rate which is the powder for the 30-06 based on reloading for 8 different 30-06s.

I would start at 39.0 load in 1/2 grn increments up to about 43.0 grns to determine function and safety so 39, 39.5, 40, 40.5, 41 etc up to 44.

Then at 44.4 grn I would load 6 each @ 44.4 grn then 44.8 up thru about 51.0 grns and look for a good load using the OCW method.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10097 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with 4064 powder and for years and years heard 4350 is THE powder. Tried it and 4064 is much better in my rifle.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Malinverni:
Rifle remington 7400 carbone, available powders VV N135, VV N140, VV N150, FEDERAL primers.

With partition 180 grs bullets, due to the fact that are shooted in a semiauto with a very short barrel, I always used N135 or N140, even if it was traced slower powders like N150 and N160.

Now in some of our hunting areas is mandatory to use the monolithics bullet. and here the doubt, using the 168 grs E-Tips, what to do? Should I follow the manual or the experiences that made me use faster powders, paying a lot of attention to avoid hight pressions while having good performances?
Thank you for your help and opinions.

Nosler has a load using VV N-150 with 168gr E-Tip start is 48g max is 52gr.

I shoot 150gr E-Tip in one of my 30-06 and I'm .050 off the lands using H-4350 and I got that load from Hodgdon manual.

I have some Barnes 168gr and Nosler 168gr that's pretty long almost 1.400" haven't had chance to shoot either yet.

I try and follow the manuals and haven't look at a VihtaVuori manual lately but if they have data I would use that also.

Good luck

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience is very close to Mike_D's comments...Go with his....Carl

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I've tried many powders in my Remington 7400

ALL the ammo on my shelf loaded for that rifle, 500 odd rounds is all loaded with IMR4064.

Wasn't it Jack O'Connor that said that if you can't find a load in a 30-06 that doesn't shoot well with SOME 165gr bullet the rifle in question doesn't need a gunsmith as much as it needs an exorcist

My personal 7400 will consistently put any 165gr bullet Nosler makes into <1-1/2" at 100yds offhand, though I normally shoot at a 3" diameter disc at 100 yards and can hit four for four as fast as I can aquire a sight picture and squeeze the trigger PRESUMING that bullet is seated in a case with 48grains of 4064 inside it

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, thank you all,
I always had good groups with my loads, even if I prepared them with Vithavuori powders, more common here in Italy.
I have doubts because the very short barrel (barrel length 18 1/2") of a semiauto rifle (Remington 7400 carbine) combined with the type of bullets that I want to load, monolithics, and moreover monolithics with the following characteristics:
undercaliber ogives, with circular and semi-circular section O-rings (grooves) which minimize the contact surface between bullet and rifled barrel (just like in high caliber cannons).

In the past I've been suggested to use faster powders (VV N135 or VV N140) when reloading 180 grains bullets, I use Partition for wild boar hunting, than the usual VV160, and with Partition my loads work well. The reason? Again the very short barrel ( barrel length 18 1/2") in a semiauto rifle (Remington 7400 carbine)

I recently had a reloading fault using e-tips Nosler, I had the spent cartridge case correctly ejected off without the next cartridge was loaded. This should mean not enough pressure. Unfortunately I did not find the spent cases in the grass. Lukily I stopped 2 wild boars hand-cycling once to fix the fault.

My doubt is that a short barrel with slow burning powder make the powder burn out of the barrel, and that the same could happen in a more massive mode with the Hasler or grooved bullets, here below an image of the bullet:
[IMG]http://www.haslerbullets.com/images/prodotti/hunting_ariete/hasler_hunting_ariete_cal%208(323)_160gr.png[/IMG]

They are lighter, first, and should make less pressure due to the reduced presence of material.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I think you are on the right track using Vihta Vouri powders. I would try both N-140 & N-150. In my experience both work better than any of the various 4350 powders (IMR, Hodgdon, or AA). So does IMR4064 which, BTW, was one of Jack O'connor's favorite '06 powders.

When Winchester first brought out their "ball" powders, they created one they claimed was the perfect burning rate for the .30-06. It is still available today but is most commonly known now as H-414...a bit slower burning than 4064, and a bit faster burning than 4350.

I personally never use anything as slow burning as 4350 in my gas operated rifles because I want to use powders which are fast enough burning to have low muzzle pressures, without having to create different loads for different autoloaders. Means I can use my loads in all my semi-autos without having to worry about getting a bent "op rod" in any of them from too high muzzle pressure.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Registered an interesting fact last week, during the weekly wild boat hunting, one dog keeper (DK), who has a Remington 7400 carbine like mine, shooted a very big male boat, something like 130 kg. Well two other friends of mine told me that when the DK shooted they saw long blazes comes from the muzzle.
Now, he uses commercial cartridges, normally loaded for bolt rifles with normal lenght barrels, the described blazes should mean a lot of powder burning out of the short barrel of the R7400. cofirming my opinioni about the necessità to use faster powders.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have never loaded for Commercial gas guns, only military. Nothing slower than 4064 used to prevent OP rod damage. Not really being familiar with the Rem, what method of gas system do they use and is it forgiving of slower powders?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote