New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varget in 223
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've just started shooting a new 10FP Savage in .223, and trying various loads in it. Hodgdon lists 27.5 gr. as max with Varget. I tried 26.5, but am having trouble getting it into the case. Don't have a drop tube as yet, so I tried leaning the funnel a bit to kind of swirl the powder into the case. Still nearly level full. How in the world do you guys get this much powder in such a small case? By the way, Today was the first I've been able to bench the gun, and was getting 3/4" groups with new brass, my spare 3x9 scope, and too much wind. Hopefully, when I get it skim bedded, more scope, and a calmer day, things will improve! [Razz]

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Evening,
First off, just because someone or something says that a case can hold X amount of powder doesn't mean that you have to use that load. That was maximum in the test firearm. Your maximum capacity may be more, or less.
Now thats out of the way, there are several ways to get more powder into a case. First and easiest is a drop tube, either 4" of 6" or even longer. Some manufacturers of powder even list 6" drop density and you can see the difference in the numbers. Second, a slower method, is to add small amounts of powder from the charge in your scale pan to the case and stopping to tap the side of the case at each addition to help settle the powder. Third, and the ugliest, is to compress the load.
Please understand that these are methods... not recommendations. Personally, I'm more concerned with the accuracy of a given charge than I am with the velocity.
Regards,
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
27.5 grs sounds a little much.

I load 24.5 grs behind everything from 53 grain Sierras up to the 80 grain Sierras, with great results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Varget (aka ADI 2208) is a little slow for the lighter bullets in 223. Benchmark (aka BM2) is a better choice.

With 55gr Vmax I used up to 27.5 grains, and with the 60 Vmax up to 27 grains. Seemed to work best with both bullets around .5 grains less.

http://www.adi-limited.com is the web site for ADI, who actually make the powder for Hodgdens.

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
27.5g is OK with the lighter bullets. That's what I use with 50 grainers.

Another way to get the load to compress is to put the loading block on your vibrating tumbler.

One thing nice about that much propellant, you can use the case to scoop the powder. Most cases won't hold more than that any way you put it in there!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I should havemade myself a little clearer. I'm looking more at the time issue. I can see going taking extra steps or proceedures for a few "accuracy type loads", but not for general varminting loads if you need them in volume. I was just trying some of the recommended powders that I already had on the shelf, to find out if any would make the grade in this rifle. Have yet to try any of the ball powders. Benchmark fits the case well and so far is just as good on paper as varget or h4895. I' wellversed in the individual rifle, pressure relationship thing, been in this about 30 years. Have found in some of my larger rifles, that acurracy improves as max is approached. Not all mind you, but some. Iguess what I really was asking, was with varget having such a good reputation in this case, was hwe to volume reload with it. Sorry for the length, Steve

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To my great surprise, I found that my Lake City mil brass holds MORE powder than my commercial FC brass. Your max load might have been developed with brass with more capacity than yours.

As mentioned, Varget is not ideal for the 223, if you are trying for max MV. However, 25.4 grains gives me 2765 fps and excellent consistency. The tempco is 1.5 fps per degree F, which is not spectacular. I use this load for target shooting, and figure that it will help the barrel last a good, long time.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote