New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 Wby - Use 7mm Wby Dies??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking at a .270 Wby, availability of some of the better dies is a bit spotty.

I should be able to get a Forster Seater, so I'm covered on that front.

I'd like to get Redding bushing style dies, but they don't seem to be made for .270 Wby Confused. But, 7mm Wby dies are available both in the Bushing Neck Sizing die and the Body die I'd like. Question: can I use the 7mm Wby neck sizing die with .270 size bushings (whatever that size may turn out to be), and what about using a 7mm Wby body die on the .270 Wby case?? Any problems with not getting part of the shoulder sized??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting question, to be sure.

The people you need to talk to are Redding, who makes the dies in question.

Having said that, I see no reason whatsoever that you could not use a 7mm Wby Mag die to size your 270 Wby Mag provided you had the right neck bushings installed. It should work just fine. The cases are identical except for the neck size. The bushing dies should take care of this, no problem.

R F

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem a few years ago when I got my 270 Wby. I used the Forster Seater like you mentioned. I thought about using the Redding S die in 7mm Wby with a 270 bushing, but I realized that the opening in a FL die at the top of the shoulder area would be a bit larger than on a die made specifically for the 270 and that there might be a small ridge at the shoulder neck junction of the case after FL resizing. So, I just used the Forster FL die along with the Forster BR type seater.

Now if you a neck die, the 7mm Redding S with a 270 bushing would work just fine since you don't bump the shoulder back when neck sizing.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was also the thought of the "missing" piece of sized shoulder (or ridge, as you describe it) that made me feel a bit uneasy. The bushing neck sizing die seems a safer bet.

The Forster (or Redding) FL dies are certainly an option. I just like to try stay away from dies with expanders - if I possibly can.

Thanks for the feedback to both of you. Food for thought, for sure. I'll see what Redding has to say...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Redding S FL dies also have an expander. You really cannot get away from using a resizing die without an expander, even a neck bushing style, unless you turn the case necks on all your cases to the same thickness. I have found that the neck thickness can vary up to .002" from case to case. Without the expander, the neck tension on the bullet will vary greatly, affecting the pressure, velocity and grouping of your reloads.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are very likely right David. Sad as it is, die availability for some of the more "exotic" cartridges is a bit spotty. So it is indeed likely that I might end up with an expander based die. But, I have not quite given up yet, we shall see what I can come up with....

- mike