Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Favorite .308 Win Deer Hunting Bullet
 Login/Join

posted
I have a new custom .308 hunting rifle that is scary accurate. What is your favorite deer hunting bullet for this caliber?

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
roger Roll Eyes165gr Speer round nose. nillyroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever it really shoots best. Deer are not tough to kill, so any will work. In my Micro-Medallion I use a 150 Partition, my ADL likes the 165 Sierra HPBT Gameking, the BLR gets 180 Core-lokts.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .308 of choice is a W,by SPM. I have killed deer with both 150 gr NBT's and 150 gr. Horn SST's. Each is big medicine for WT's.

Bob

Posts: 213 | Location: Wilbraham, MA 01095 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the last two years I've gone w/165 grain Nosler Partions backed by R15 or Varget. I use the 165's when deer hunting because hogs are seen too often. The 165 Nosler Partions absolutley knocks the tar out of any deer, hog, bobcat or coyote that gets in their way. This is with shots generally taken between 75 and 125 yrds as you can't really see any further than that most places I hunt. My confidence level is huge with this bullet in a .308 case.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
150 grain nos partition gold that I got from Midway on a sale a year ago for $4.99/50. What a deal!! Only shot one deer and it worked great but feel I have a bullet that will penetrate to the vitals from any angle. Fueled by max loads of 748 they shoot 1-1.25" in my BAR

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting the 165 grain Hornady BTSP since 1981 with no complaints.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
165gr Nosler Partition. Here in Idaho the deer and elk seasons run concurrently. The 165 will down an elk easy.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Hornady 150 SP over Varget works great for me.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no reason to complain of the service Rem. bulk 150SPCL bullets from Midway have given me. Accurate and inexpensive too.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CORNERSTONE
posted Hide Post
Nosler Partions & Hornady SST

Thanks,
ED

Posts: 148 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capphd:
I have a new custom .308 hunting rifle that is scary accurate. What is your favorite deer hunting bullet for this caliber?

Thanks

My favorite for years has been a 165gr Partition over 46grs of Varget but I have started flirting with 165gr Accubonds since they are extremely accurate and a bit more aerodynamic.........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I load the 185gr Lapua Mega bullets to about 2300 fps at the muzzel.

It reminds me of a 30-30 bolt rifle I used back in GA many years ago.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
165gr Sierra GameKing SBT or HPBT take your pick! Wink

Wherever you go, there you are!

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any weight Bullet that says Nozler on it!!!! dancing

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
My brother and I inherited a Rem 308 in 1987. I loaded up the 165 Btip over Re 15.

That load has killed about 250 deer in the south since then, a few in MO, by me, my brother, and friends that borrowed the rifle.

Not one failure. Closest shot was about 8 barrel lengths, furthest was about 150 yards.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have a 30/06 not a .308 but the difference is miniscule. I load 180 grain Sierra SPBT's and shoot everything (deer, elk, antelope, Bighorn Sheep, Mtn Goats, hogs etc.) with this one bullet. Many people will tell you that Sierra bullets won't penetrate and blow up, it is BS. I've shot Deer as close as 50 yards and elk as far as 425 yards, all dead all with exits, many one shot kills. In my opinion this is a very accurate bullet and I've never needed more performance on game. I'd try 150, or 165's in your .308 and be happy about it if they shoot accurate. What bullets are scary accurate in your .308 now?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
So far my 308 has racked up 11 - 1 shot kills with 150 gr NBT

I have never recovered a bullet
But the lungs all have been trashed and anything in the way in or out broken

Deer die easy
Any 150 -180 gr standard ( not a hard , ment for higher velositys ) expanding bullet that shoots good should do the jod

My brother shoots the Remington Bulk 150 gr bullets and never has had a beer go more than 20 yards

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken a lot of game with a 308 over the years, most of it with a 165 grain bullet, some with a 150gr and some with a 180.

Did not seem to make much difference.
For deer any 308 load will work just fine.

For the bigger stuff the 165 or 180 premium bullets would be my choice.

The 308 is one of my favorite cartridges.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
My 308WIN load is 48.5grns of Win748 with 150GRN RWS TIG bullets.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree 100% with what has been said above about vanilla-flavored bullets in the .308 Winchester for Deer. Premium bullets are always good but not always required and the .308 Win. is a good example.

Try some inexpensive 150 grain Remington Bronze Points. Also, as mentioned above; Nosler 150 gr. BTs, Sierra 165 gr. SPBTs or HPBTs - all of these bullets have given up "scary" accurate loads, too......and dead Deer.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I load 308win but, don't hunt with them myself. I know two guys that love the performance of the 165 Hornady SST. Good expansion and good blood trails. I took one of them hunting with me a couple of years ago and put him in a climber that I had hunted off and on all season without seeing a buck but, I knew they were there from the sign everywhere. He had two big 8pts and a spike come out at one time! He shot one of the 8s, the smaller of the two and he still scored 118. Anyway it was a good mature 3.5-4.5 year old deer. The 165 SST from his 308 double lunged him and there was blood everywhere for the short and sweet 10 yard blood trail Smiler That's the kind of tracking jobs I like. I'm loading them over a max charge of Varget in a Remington 700 and the accuracy and SD are very good.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with the 150gr Nosler partition.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never thought much about the .308 for many years, thinking it to be a 30-06 wannabe. A new job in another state in 1970 where the deer hang out at between 7,000 and almost 10,000 Feet MSL forced me to think I neded a lighter weight gun. My old 1903 Springfield at 9 pounds was way too heavy for this heavy chain smoker. (FWIW, I quit smoking in 1975.) I found a Remington 660 in .308 Win. and the first thing I did was restock that thing to a nice mannlicher style stock. A really stiff load with H-335 and the 150 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter was my go to load for years. I did consider a heavier bulletm but the gun was accurate so I put up with the somewhat mangled meat from that bullet.
Then I moved to Arizona and continued to hunt with that .308 until Ruger came out with their Mannlicher style stocked RSI, also in .308. It was lust at first sight with that rifle. The only thing was it did not like that load, or any other loads that had worked with the Remington. It absolutely hated 180 gr. spitzers, was a dog with 150 gr. spitzers, and I was ready to throw that rifle in the nearest lake. I had a box of 165 gr. Speer Hot-cores laying around that I'd picked up in a trade, so I tried them. They shot better than most but not what I wanted from that rifle. I went and tried W-760 and finally got a decent load that grouped fairly well with the Speer bullet. velocity wasn't all that great at 2550 FPS, but it woukld stay withing 1.25" on a steady basis so that was the load for that rifle. For those that might be interested, that same load does 2610 FPS from a 22" barreled .308. Every deer that has been shot with that load has either been a bang/flop or dropped within maybe 35 feet from where it was shot.
The load for those that wish to try is is 49.0 gr. of W-760, Winchester brass and WLR primer. Bullet is the 165 gr. Speer Hot-core. Not the fastest load on the block, but it's worked for me for many years.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

This is what I meant by scary accurate. I shot these two groups back to back with different loads on my first trip to the range after barrel break-in.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
What bullet and what load is that?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote