New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgdon / ADI Equivalents
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found data on loads I'd like to try with ADI AR2213sc. The problem is that I can't find a source for ADI powders. I did, however, find a chart listing ADI / Hodgdon equivalents.

That chart shows that H4831 is the equivalent of AR2213sc.

Can these charts be trusted? Do Hodgdon and ADI have the same source for powder and market under their individual names?

Basically, I'm wondering if the powders are truly equivalent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Australian Defence Industries (ADI) makes many of the Hodgdon powders. Insofar as I am aware, if ADI markets the corresponding powder, the specs for their powder and the powder they make for Hodgdon are the same. That is NOT to say that normal lot/batch varitions will not exist which may make a given canister of either vary to some degree from another canister.

I printed an ADI loading data guide from the web a few years back. I assume it is still available.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just heard back from Hodgdon. ADI AR2213sc is the equivalent of H4831sc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

I just saw you had replied. Turns out that ADI no longer exists, the factory that was making the powders for ADI, and I'm assuming Hodgdon, has been sold to Thales, a french company.

I'm happy this particular powder is still being made, I found some loads I want to try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's not quite right. ADI still exists as a subsidiary of Thales. Still produces the same powder at the same site and publishes a reloading manual which is available on line.

Google is your friend.

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzie:
That's not quite right. ADI still exists as a subsidiary of Thales. Still produces the same powder at the same site and publishes a reloading manual which is available on line.

Google is your friend.

Yep. Thales is the name on the sign at the site gatehouse, though. ADI is now just a brand name, only used for powders.

They're currently well into construction of a new propellants plant [the old one, built in 1942, is a bit past it], due to be completed later this year. So there's planned to be a 15-month transition of production to the new plant coming up, once its completed. Thales is just now starting to advertise some technical positions for this one - woohoo!

Austringer, see http://www.hodgdon.com/msds.html for the definitive list of ADI/Hodgdon correlations.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all of the information! The person who responded from Hodgdon gave me a little bit of the history. He didn't come out and say it, but between the lines is seemed that not everybody was happy when the sale to Thales went through.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gadge, thank you for that excellent link! I can't believe Hodgdon didn't tell me about it. That clears up all my doubts, I'm looking forward to trying the powder.