Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medium rifle loading
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I'm an experienced shot shell reloader and just now getting into rifle loading. I bought the lee challanger anniversary edition press and my question is, what dies are compatible with this press? I'm looking at buying the .270 win "ultimate" four die set will this work? Thankyou for any info to shed light on my situation

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR

If you are new to rifle handloading stick to basics for a spell.

The 2 die kits will do the job.

Almost all brands will work 100% with your Lee

Come here with any questions. There is a very deep membership here with tons of knowledge

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah the 4 die sets are all marketing gimmicks in order to make money. (I know, others will chime in here and say they work great for them; but for a beginner, you don't need them and my opinion, no one does) Stick with 2 for now and you will never want more, until you start loading straight walled cases, in which case, you will automatically get a 3 die set. have fun. Get a good manual like the Hornady and others, and have fun.
Oh, to answer your question, all dies fit all presses. (1x14 threads is standard) Read some more.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get ultimate quality in a 2 die set and add any other dies you want later.

Take a look at these for top quality.

1. Forsters BR or Ultra seater in a 2 die set. The other die is a Forster Coaxial FL die.

2. Redding Competition Seater with a Redding FL die set. You can equip the FL die with the carbide expander.

Except for the factory crimp die (not needed in a .270) and the collet neck sizer (not really needed in a hunting rifle caliber) there is nothing ultimate about Lee dies.
While they do work, Lee has differentiated (marketing buzz word) his product by featuring the worst possible combination of design gimmicks.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
1x14 threads is standard) Read some more.

I believe they are 7/8 x14

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ok thankyou that's where I'll start then. Also are all the die sets made by lee able to be used with the 'quick lock' system I think that is a feature on this challanger or are they standard until I get the quick lock bushing? Thankyou again for the help

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR Bpao. The Lee dies work fine, I believe the quick lock system is designed to accept standard die threads. Personally if Lee would just thread their expander button stem instead of using the collet lock I would use more of them. I have found that lock system inadequate, but others dont seem to mind it.
Most of my dies are RCBS. They come with the best warranty in the business and have always served me well.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ok sounds good I have a good place to start now. I appreciate all the input. There's always a learning curve I suppose, if I run into any other snags I'll be asking thanks guys!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, 7/8ths by 1; the brain is the second thing to go; I forget what is first. The Lee system works great if you tighten the collet enough. Hornady's works maybe better if you can't tighten the collet enough as they are threaded. I have every kind of die made; start with the basics and when you learn some, then you can venture off into exotic things like bench rest dies and such. Lee basic die sets are as good as any other brand.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
7/8 14

.071 per full turn

The Lee bushings only work with the Lee press line however they are ID threaded 7/8 14

I load high volume .223 and use Lee dies in this application.

They work great. My only knock on them is the lock ring uses a rubber "O" ring to give friction to hold position.

This is fine but I prefer the Hornady style of lock ring

I also prefer Hornady dies because I use the interchangeable Hornady micrometer bullet seating attachment.

This allows me to make a note on bullet seating depth for future loading

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless your loading lead cast bullets and why would anyone do that with a .270, so I suggest a set of RCBS .270 2 piece dies like everyone else..Reddings are also good dies.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote