THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Custom 7x57 with 154 gr. bullet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When I was trying out my new (to me) 1955 HVA 7x57 rifle I happened to have half a box of Hornady Custom 7x57 Mauser cartridges loaded with 154 gr. bullets and they shot like a charm.Now I'm out of them and would like to reproduce the load. Hornady doesn't make it any more.

Do you know what powder charge they used in that load?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You won't find that information... a seasoned handloader could probably pull one round, weigh the powder charge, and then make a somewhat accurate guess by referencing the different loading manuals. I have done that in earlier years, before I decided it didn't matter, and went on to just roll my own.

But you won't get that information, if I am a betting man.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would call Hornady. They are pretty good about telling folks what they use in a particular load.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Hublocker,

It is one of my favorites bullets. Try 46 grs of any of the 4350 or W760 or H414 as a starting load. Depending on the case capacity with this load or with a few more grains (worked up carefully !!) you will reproduce the Hornady load.

Good luck!

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hublocker:
When I was trying out my new (to me) 1955 HVA 7x57 rifle I happened to have half a box of Hornady Custom 7x57 Mauser cartridges loaded with 154 gr. bullets and they shot like a charm.Now I'm out of them and would like to reproduce the load. Hornady doesn't make it any more.

Hublocker, if you still have one or two rounds available, make certain where it groups on the target at 100m for instance. Then load different loads with the most probable powder that Hornady has used. The one that groups nearest to the original ammunition is the one you could try. Nevertheless you might find that there are other handloads that produce better accuracy - then rather adjust your scope to the most accurate load.

Do you know what powder charge they used in that load?