THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Any 45-70 w/300 gr Nosler Partition loads out there?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 45-70 w/300 gr Nosler Partition loads out there?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted
Anyone out there have a 45-70 load for the 300gr Nosler Partition round?

Thanks in advance . . .

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
56.2gr H4198, rem 9½, Rem nickel brass with a heavy factory crimp yields a little over 2400fps in my NEF Handirifle, 1" groups at 100yds.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
56.2gr H4198, rem 9½, Rem nickel brass with a heavy factory crimp yields a little over 2400fps in my NEF Handirifle, 1" groups at 100yds.

Excellent! I'll be using a Handi 45-70 myself!

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be prepared for some stout recoil!! I have the laminated stock with a Limbsaver pad on it and for bench work, I put a pipe filled with 2lbs of lead in the stock bolt hole, and it still rocks me!!

I crimp at the bottom of the groove. All of my 45-70 H&R/NEF rifles have short throats, so you'll want to check that out, also.

I'd recommend you start at about 50grs and work up, not every rifle is created equal. Mine was built in 2002 so it has the latest frame heat treatment, the older models weren't as stoutly built as the post '99 frames, that's why they won't fit any of the high pressure barrels to them that are listed on the acc barrel list with an asterisk. The second letter of the serial number denotes the year of production. V=2005, there's no O or Q, either, so N=1999.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Mine in a 2005: "NV2568.." So it should be OK. But, I do agree to work it up. Have you tried in on any game yet?

-eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, but the fella that got me started on that load has and they work excellent...I'd be comfortable shooting anything in the country with it short of the big bears. It will expand as low as 800fps according to Nosler, so even for deer it would be an effective load out to 250yds or so..

With a muzzle velocity of 2400fps...Muzzle energy=3837ft.lbs...@ 100 yards..=2609ft.lbs.....@ 200 yards..=1609ft.lbs...@ 275 yards..=1254ft.lbs......When the rifle is sighted 3.3" high @ 100 yards....for a 4" kill zone........zero distance=161yards.........Max PBR=186yards....... for a 6" kill zone........zero=183yards....... the Max PBR=213yards....... for a 8" kill zone........zero=202yards....... the Max PBR=236yards........for a 10" kill zone........zero=219yards....... the Max PBR=255yards....... for a 12" kill zone........zero=234yards....... the Max PBR=272yards...

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Thanks again. I'll let you know how mine compares once I get some cases loaded.

-eric