New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wow, 17 Hornet Dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I've been thinking about a small caliber project and started to look at components and found 17 hornet dies on Midway USA, $142.99!!!!! Wow, I couldn't believe it, and thats just for standard dies, no micrometer seater or ultra benchrest desingnation. Why so much? I understand that this is a rare caliber and that it's really tiny, but common now. Seems kind of rediculous to me.

I was going to try to find a used hornet rifle and rebarrel it in this caliber because 17 cal bullets are cheap now (less lead), and it uses such a tiny amount of powder, also brass is significantly cheaper than the .221 fireball or 17 remington fireball, but with the dies being 4-5 times higher than other calibers... I dunno

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
One of the ways around this is to buy a bushing Hornet die and then use the .17's bushings (if available.) As to the seater...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why so much?

Overhead. Short production runs have the same set-up time as longer ones. Could be lost sales on more popular numbers if capacity is short. And then there's low inventory turnover.

Check with Graf. Last year they had Redding in stock for under $120.