Find
Notify
Tools

NOSLER RELOADING MANUAL HELP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
Apparently, they have a new edition that now includes the 416 Rigby. One of the things I like about the manual, is they list a "most accurate load tested" and a most accurate powder tested ( and MV). Would one of you kind folks be kind enough to post what the most accurate powder they used and load with their 400gr bullet? thanks, jorge

PS: Hey, I'msaving for my 05 Zimbabwe trip and I don't want to buy another book!

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge: Under the 400 gr. bullet listing there are 4 powders listed and in the most accurate "powder" tested section it identifies IMR 4350 powder. Then under that category the load of 88.0 grs of IMR 4350 was the most accurate of those loads tested with the most accurate powder! This load gave 2324 FPS and 84% load density.

Some other important info for you may be - 26" Pac Nor barrel used for testing - Federal cases - Federal 215 primers - the MAXIMUM load for this category is listed as 92.0 grs. of IMR 4350.

Hope this helps and I have taken time to double check my posting to match the Nosler Manual!

Good luck with the loading and the upcoming trip!

Hold into the wind

Varmintguy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks Varminthunter! I currently use the data from the Hornady book and I'm not surprised at all that IMR 4350 was the best powder. I use 90.2gr which is the next to hottest load in the Hornady book and I'm geting unbelievable accuracy. I'm talking "one holers" with regularity with the 400gr Hornadys and Swift A Frames. My Ruger is one of the older ones so it has a 24" barrel. MV is right at 2375FPS. My trip's still a ways away, but it doesn't hurt to get ready and practice early! jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge: Wow! On the accuracy you are already getting. Even though I am a large person I am very "recoil aware"! My biggest kicker is a 7mm Remington Magnum I use for Elk Hunting. The thought of that much recoil (the 416 Rigby and 400 gr. bullets) literally causes me to wince! I have lots of Varminters that I shoot with both eyes open and a very loose hold. Now and then I touch off a Big Game Rifle and forget to hold it with the proper respect. Ouch!
Again good luck on the practice and upcoming trip!
400 grain bullets - yes I am coming down with a headche!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote