THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    6.5x55, 140 gr. bullet, 22 in. bbl - Which powder?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55, 140 gr. bullet, 22 in. bbl - Which powder?
 Login/Join

<Doc Garnett>
posted
"All things being equal" ( which we all know never are ) which powder(s) should theoretically be most likely to (1) be most efficient and (2) deliver the highest velocity?
-- Doc

<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Garnett:
"All things being equal" ( which we all know never are ) which powder(s) should theoretically be most likely to (1) be most efficient and (2) deliver the highest velocity?
-- Doc

Hmm, for velocity MRP or MRP-2. Have not yet tried Reloder 25, but Re 22 is right up there with the MRP - could well be that Re 25 surpasses the MRP's...

Mind you that a) you don't need all the velocity you can get, and b) you'll have a hard time filling the case with these slow powders.

What you mean by efficiency I don't know - if you're looking for "FPS per grain" then N 150 is probably the best choice, but it's a funny powder...

-- Mats

<Yspen>
posted
Hello Doc

I did a lot of tests with the following :
IMR4831 , Rel 19 and Rel 22 ( as well as SA powders -> Somchem S365 ( = IMR4350 ) and S385 ( =Rel 22 ).)
Best results on velocity was Re22 and S385 .( Both : 48 gr = 4650 fps )
Best on accuracy (Styer Mannlicher SBS Prohunter ) was Rel 22 and S385 .(one inch 3-shot groups at 200m )

The second best in accuracy was achieved with Rel 19 ( 46,5 gr = 2640 fps ) .

Look at Saeeds' reloading pages . He achieved some impressive groups with Rel 19.

BTW : I used Sierra Matchking 140 gr and R-P brass ( as well as LAPUA ) .

<Don G>
posted
Some theoretical results from QuickLoad at a reasonable 48000 PSI peak pressure, says RL-25 is tops in the velocity department at 2700fps. The RL-25 is 98% burnt, which should be a liveable muzzle flash. The case is 106% full, which is a doable compressed load. (I like compressed loads.)

VV-N165 shows up at 2641 fps and a 97% full case. If you don't like compressed loads, this is a nice place to be.

Accurate Arms XMR4350 is the first powder to show 100% burnt at 2630 fps - the case is 91% full.

IMR4895 at 2580 fps is probably a very comfortable load to shoot, it will be all burnt six inches before the muzzle, giving low flash and low blast with reasonable velocity. The case would be 91% full.

HTH,
Don

<Menander>
posted
Mats-
What do you mean with "funny" ? I have only had good results with both N150 and N160 with 140 grain bullets.

Menander

<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Menander:
What do you mean with "funny"?

I sometimes get pressure symptoms (sticky extraction) with anemic loads, and it is very primer sensitive. But accuracy is great.

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to support Mats. Twice when working up 6.5x55 loads with N150 and 120gr bullets 2 rounds would be fine with no pressure signs and one would be very flat. I went no further. The Vihtavuori book shows a number of cases where the supposedly slower N150 is used in smaller quantities than N140. Hence 'it's funny stuff'

I used N560 with 140gr to get 2700fps (48gr max load) with no pressure signs or muzzle flash from a 24" barrel. It's not very clean.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
I use Norma MRP and Nobel 0.
MRP 45 gr with Hirtenberg primer and lapua cases = 2480fps with Sierra 140gr SBT
MRP 47 gr same case & primer = 2560fps and a .8" group @ 100m.
Nobel 0, 40gr same case, primer and bullet gives me 2350fps and .9" groups.
The rifle is a custom Mauser with double set trigger built around 1936.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<FAINA>
posted
Hi Doc,
the 6.5 swede work very well with slow-burning powder. You can get the max velocity with MRP and RE 22, but if you want to shoot very accurate with good velocity , powder like Norma 204 and Vihta n-160 can give you great sodisfaction.
I prefer a bit less speed with more accuracy.
ciao FAINA