New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Partition with Ballistic Tip???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is probably not an original thought but, wouldn't a Nosler partition with a Ballistic Tip be a great idea?

I mean the Partition is the standard against which all controlled expansion bullets are judged. And if you shoot some calibers that recoil a tad and you hate messing up the tips by banging around in the magazine as much as I do, then this would be a great solution.

How about a call in/write in campaign to Nosler?

What do you think?

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Nosler and ask them, then post their response. I've thought of this too, but figured they've already explored this and found some technical reason why it shouldn't be done. It would be interesting just to see what they say.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a partition gold with a ballistic tip and a boat tail.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler gets pretty close to what you want with the AccuBond - almost the same penetration characteristics as the Partition, plastic tip and boattail... Now, if they would just come out with some .257 and some .264 cal AccuBonds...
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fall into the "if it aint broke don't fix it" catagory. The partition has been so effective as a game bullet for so long that I see no reason to mess with it. Nosler does offer some partitions in a protect point version.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Skibum, that's one quick way to put a company out of business. Never make any changes or improvements to your products. Just about anything can be improved. Why do you think Winchester, Remington, Ford, Chevy, etc. come out with new models just about every year? If they don't, their competitors will take their design and make the improvements for them. I'm not saying the Partition should be replaced, only that there may be another market for Ballistic Tip Partitions. If they never made improvements, they would probably keep the loyal customers who have used them for so long, but the young guys will most likely reach for the sexy new technologically advanced bullets. Just the way it is.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Off hand I'd guess the problem would be bullet length. Adding that plastic tip would make the bullets longer than they are now. Not good.

Also, the plastic tip enhances expansion and the front end of the Partition is already pretty thinly jacketed. If the jacket was made heavier, that means less lead, less weight and a longer bullet still.

I bet we'll see bonded Partitions before we see plastic tipped Partitions.

Joe

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just as soon see them offer a protected point in each offering. But alas, the shooting public seems to think that such a bullet falls from the sky like a bowling ball.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would bet that in the years to come; 5 to 7 maybe, you will see a gradual phasing out of the ballistic tip hunting bullets, to be taken over by the accubonds. The ballistic tips will still be available, but mainly for varmint calibers. Other calibers will probably still be available, but in limited sizes.

Once that is finished or nearly completed, the next evolutionary step would either be a partition with plastic tip or bonded front section.

That's my WAG for the day.

irwin

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McCray has hit the nail on the head: The lightweight polymer point would make the overall length of a partition bullet very long-for-weight. This creates an issue with stabilizing in some barrels, and a bigger issue with effectively reducing the volume of the combustion chamber (and consequently being unable to achieve desired velocities).

As far as terminal performance, such a bullet would not be very much different from today's Partition, in that the front end of the Partition is very expansive an somewhat frangible (and contrary to popular opinion, most often does most of the work in killing game).

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"you will see a gradual phasing out of the ballistic tip hunting bullets, to be taken over by the accubonds."

If the accubonds offer the accuracy and ballistic co-efficient of ballistic tips and the penetration and weight retension of partitions,partition sales will suffer as well.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the ballistic tip would make it longer but it wouldnt really effect the wieght or ballance of the bullet in the air much becuase it really doesnt weight much. The only reason I would like to see a ballistic tip or plastic tip is because they protect the tip from deformation and fly truer and initiate expansion faster than some of the current offerings. This would be helpful when using this type of bullet on smaller game but it would still retain the wieght and eliminate the possibility of seperation that you have with the non partitioned bullets. I would like to see something like this in a 6mm 95 grain bullet. It would make me more comfortable taking out mulies without having to step upto a larger caliber. Accubond seem ok also but I would like a physical barrier to keep the bullet from overexpanding at higher velocities. I would definately buy a 95 grain, 6mm, plastic tip, boat tail, bonded front portion and steel reinforced rear portion bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also would like to see what would happen if they put a plastic/ballistic tip on their failsafe bullet and made it a boattail. That might just be a sweet deal then. Its just that I dont trust some of those bullets to expand fast enough to really work properly on a double lung shot deer where theres really not much resistance, but you still want it ti be able to penetrate several inches of muscle and bone in case of a shoulder hit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, to REALLY go off on a tangent... Wouldn't it be great if they made a plain base non-ballistic tip bullet. Yeah, I was a fan of their old, plain base bullets. They seem to shoot fine for me (better than partitions) and I never had any problems with performance, either. I surely wish I had stocked up on them in 7mm & 30 cal before they were gone. It would sure make my decisions easier, today. I will say that bonded would have been nice.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good news for you(and my 250 Savage that loves their old 100gr sb). They seem to be reintroducing the solid base - their outlet store has some in limited calibers!

Posts: 73 | Location: Huron, Tn | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about someone like Nosler making a monolitic bullet right? We have Barnes making all sorts of stuff that fouls barrels and raising pressures. GS bullets not shipping orders. And why do non lead bullets have to be made from copper anyway? How about guilding metal on the bearing surfaces of such a bullet. What about plating them like Remington did on some bullet?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For light game, white tail, I use the original "ballistic" tipped bullet which has been around for eons..The Remington 150 grain Bronze Point in 308 and 30-06. Venison roast, mashed potatos and gravy and grits on the side every time.

Posts: 42 | Location: middleburg, fl | Registered: 19 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jethro,

Just think of "New Coke" I have no problem if a company wants to offer new products and designs but I question changing something that just flat works as advertised just for the sake of change. You now run the risk of alienating customers who have been loyal for years and running them to your competitors. I'm not a big believer that the shape of a partition is any big disadvantage for any real hunting situation a hunter is likely to come across. I've used partions to kill game from 15 yards to this past fall when I put a 165 gr. partition through the chest of a muley buck with my 30-06 from 422 yards. As usual bullet performance of the partition was perfect, with complete penetration. The buck staggered about 10 feet and fell over. That is what interests me in a game bullet not fancy tips or boattails.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose the point of making changes to a bullet that works is to make it work BETTER. The bullets my dad used to use back in the 1930s worked also and he shot everything with open sights. That worked too but I would bet the farm that he wouldnt go back to hunting with that equipment today.