Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New used 22-250 COL ??
 Login/Join

posted
I have a just bought a used 22-250 Rem 700 vssf. I had some questions on COL and I found a post here that discussed using the bullet and dowel to measure your rifles chamber overall length. When I used this method I come up with some very long #s with the bullets I plan on using. I will list and if you guys with any knowledge on the subject would give me any suggestions it would be highly appreciated.
Using a 50g Vmax OCL=2.552
Using 50g Varminator OCL=2.508
Using 53g Barnes TSX OCL=2.601
OCL(Overall Chamber Length) incase I am not using the right terminology.
The way I see it, it looks like my throat is way long. In most of the reloading manuals it states that 2.350 is max COAL. Too far to even think about shooting? Please let me know what you think.Also what options I would have to do with this setup like what to rechamber to ect. Thanks Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Max. ctg. length is generally determined by what the magazine will take. If you are willing to load one at a time any length that will hold to bullet well is OK. Make up a dummy ctg. with the bullet out as far as possible, seat it a couple of times and measure it. If it has been seated further by the lands measure it and that should be your max. col.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
My 22-250 takes Nosler bullets out to 2.525"

I load the bullets so that at least half the bullet shank is in the case neck. The rest can sit in the throat. Most of my loads, therefore, come in at 2.500".

My magazine can easily handle these lengths, so itn all works out.

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
In most magazine fed rifles, the magazine is the defining factor in length unless you want a single shot.

There no magic in seating just off the lands. And I beleive there is more that one "Sweet" spot.

The proper way to measure is not the overall length of the cartridge but the distance from the case head to the ogive.

The ogive is the first part of the bullet to contact the lands.

Using a Stoney Point guage can help in determinng this measurement.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote