THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anyone play with a .375 Nitro Express.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

I believe I have some qualified success to report (finally!). After reducing the powder charge to 46 grs of RL-15 and using 270gr bullets (Hornady Round Nose), I was pretty well regulated to the sights at 50 yds. But when I moved back to 100 yds, I was hitting low. Tried upping the powder charge to 49 grs, and was hitting high, so I tried 47.5 gr today. Looks like I'm hitting to the sights at 100 yds! Now to try 200 yds and see how well the trajectory matches. I also need to chronograph the load, but I'm guessing it's in the 1800 fps range.

Washougal Chris

Posts: 116 | Location: Washougal, WA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Congrats!!! It is always rewarding to find the "magic formula" for a vintage rifle.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Hello! I just found this sight, and was thrilled to find this post. I have two 1892 Steyr rifles in 6.5 x 53R, one was retailed and marked Army&Navy CSL, the other unmarked but in its original case with trade label; John Macpherson, Inverness, Scotland. Both rifles are in very good condition, but the Army & Navy's bore is extremely washed out, I assume from long use with cordite loads. I have not been able to get it to stabilize any bullet, at 50 yards they are keyholing. I have come to the conclusion that the only way to preserve this rifle and its barrel markings and proofs, is to rebore and rerifle it to a larger caliber. unfortunatly .303 is too tapered, but when I saw this post, I realized that there was another alternative. Mbogo375 can you give me some of the barrel dimensions of your H&H ? The muzzle on mine is .585. I also assume that this gun uses the original cartride clips? Who made your dies? Please accept my apologies, I am not trying to hijack this thread, I have been trying to restore this gun for use for two years and have exhausted about all possibilities short of rebarreling and having an engraver do the address and duplicate the proofs, which to me is not quite kosher! Thanks in advance for your help! Lee.

Posts: 2271 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
lee440,

Glad to help if I can. My H&H/Steyr has a .619" diameter barrel at the muzzle. Yes, it does use the original Steyr clips. As for dies, I originally bought CH4D dies for an H&H double in this caliber, but the chamber on my double was on the minimum side so I wound up with RCBS. Either brand will work with my Steyr.

I highly recommend Cliff LaBounty for the rebore. I believe that Cliff would do this rebore, but you will have to ask to be sure since this will leave a fairly thin barrel wall. Another option would be to simply open the 6.5x53R up to 7x53R which would only require opening the neck area of chamber and dies plus the rebore. This would be a less expensive option if you don't mind a wildcat.

If you want a factory cartridge, the 375x2.5 Flanged NE is a great choice. I really like both my rifles in this caliber.

Have you checked the A&N records at the University of Glasgow to find out any history on your rifle? As luck would have it, I just yesterday received the record copy on my A&N Lee Enfield sporter that was produced in 1920. The link to their web site is LINK . I was considering a rebore of it to 375x2.5 as well, as I was also getting keyholeing, but I found that the bore actually was.315 to .316 (in the tight spot-but .317 in the rest of the barrel). I had some .3175 bullets for a J bore 8x57, so I tried them not expecting much. To my surprise they printed respectable groups, go figure .

If I can be of additional help please let me know.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Dear Lee440,

I'd be interested in hearing more about your John MacPherson rifle. I have an M1903 takedown in 6.5x54 M-S that has "New Barrel by John MacPherson, Gunmaker, Inverness" on it. Even for a Mannlicher, its action is extra-smooth. It has also his a side mount (but alas no rings) and the pop-up tang sight.

Have you slugged your bore to determine what the diameter is? Hornady is making a 0.266" bullet (for the 6.5 Carcano) that might work.

Thanks,
Washougal Chris

Posts: 116 | Location: Washougal, WA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote