New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistic Silver Tip?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What's the difference between these and a Nosler Ballistic Tip?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Tip color and coating.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does the coating require any type of special cleaning before/after?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
The color..

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,

There is no structural difference at all between the standard Ballistic Tip and the Ballistic Silvertip.

The tip is a different color between the two and thats it.

The black color of the Ballistic Silvertip is not a coating. Rather it is a surface treatment that through an oxidation process gives the bullet its black color.

What this does is make th first few thousandths of the jacket thickness harder then the rest of the jacket. The harder something is, the less friction it creates as it is forced through the barrel, to a point.

Also, the harder the jacket surface, the less it will foul the bore as it passes through it. Many get misled and say the B. Silvertip is coated with Moly, this is incorrect.

I believe Winchester calls this coating Lubalox but not positive. They came up with it originally for the Winchester Fail Safe rifle bullets. Those bullets now and the Ballsitic Silvertips along with the partition gold bullets are made by Combined Technologies(Nosler and Winchester).

The Coated Partition Gold and Fail Safe bullets are coated with a baked on moly coating, the Ballistic Silvertip is not, it still uses the Lubalox treatment.

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Does the coating require any type of special cleaning before/after?

Not according to Nosler and Winchester.

My experience is that it does build up to some degree, and after about 100 rounds through my .280 with the Win 140 gr BST I had a nice, solid black bore. It shot really well, too. Up to that point I had only done basic, powder solvent cleaning with Hoppes #9 and patches. Then I decided I needed to clean it (the black buildup) out, and 2 bronze brushes and about 200 patches later, I have a clean bore and twice the size groups! I do have a rough bore though (military bbl on a 1908 Brazillian Mauser).

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The black coating is called Lubaloy.
That is actually a very old trademark name that Winchester now designates to their Supreme Ammo.
It is not really like a moly, but it is said to improve accuracy.
Whatever the case, functionally it is not really different at all to un-coated ballistic tip rounds.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler Ballistic Tip and the Ballistic Silver Tip bullets are exactly the same internally. The only difference is the color of the plastic tip and the Lubalox coating.

I have been to the Nosler plant in Bend, Oregon and watched them manufacture these bullets. Amazing place, actually.
The Ballistic Silver Tips are just like the regular Ballistic Tips. They are manufactued in Bend then sent elsewhere for the coating to be applied. I even bought some seconds at the store they have that were Ballistic Silvertips that had not yet been coated. They were 200 grain bullets for my 338 Win Mag and they were just like the regular Ballistic Tips except they had gray plastic tips instead of the usual maroon colored tips. (Those bullets shot just great, by the way. The seconds they sell there are a real bargain.)

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 150 Ballsitic Silver tip in a 7mm Ultra Mag and it shot great. Best of all the rifle was still shooting under minute of angle after over 70 shots without cleaning! NEVER had that with any other bullet even in that same rifle.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote