New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon SPOTON! Not For Me!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
I just got a link from Safari magazine about this new Nikon program.

I thought I wll try it and see how it works.
Looking at the first page, was enough to turn me off this program, and I think I will stick with the likes of Leupold for my scope requirements.

They want you to register, and give them permission to access your computer!!??

What the hell for?

If they are offering a free propgram for shooters, it should be free, without any silly requirements to access my computer.

I tried to send them a message of what I think of this policy, but that link did not work.

Nikon SPOTON

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Saeed! Too many QUESTIONABLE strings attached.
thumbdown Mad thumbdown

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. The access to your computer thing could be some CYA for placing interactive code in the browser for the application to run, but that's really broad language, and they certainly don't need my name or email address much less other information.

Nikon just took about three big steps down in my estimation.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had a gun counter guys try to sell a Buckmasters Scope with the BDC. He touted how great that software was at getting shots "spot on" up to 500 yards. He didn't make the sale because I was a little suspicious of his claims. I didn't bother looking until this morning...I guess I was right to be leary!!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never give anyone whom you suspect does not have your best interest at heart any sort of remote access to your computer. Your response was right, Saeed. I give you one point toward becoming an American. Keep workin' at it...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a damn "Cookie" just like everything else on the net. Even this site..

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve4102:
It's a damn "Cookie" just like everything else on the net. Even this site..

The cookies we have are only for keeping people logged in. Just like most websites on the net.

Allowing a remote access to your computer is an entirely different thing.

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The remote access is a "utility" to run the program. Similar to PCPitstop and other system check programs that will run diagnostic checks on your system. They are not accessing your personal info. Calm down.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Why would they want to run "diagnostic" checks on my system?

They can state the system requirements for their program to run.

I honestly do not care what they are offering, any company than wants access to my computer, in any form, can take hike.

I have absolutely no interest in their products.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
To this day, I still like Nikon better than Leupold. I went backwards when I made the switch many years ago when I parted with my Nikon because so many people told me it was inferior to Leupold. Not with my vision. My brother still uses Nikon, and we've compared glass in evening hours on hunts. His Nikon is more clear than my Leupolds.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
if "spoton" refers to a ballistics program, a pretty good free one can be found at www.huntingnut.com.

the name of the program is "point blank" and has a free download with no strings attached that i can see. i've sued it for a few years and it seems pretty good. probably not the BEST out there, but good for keeping records, charting ballistics and for load development. plus, the price is right.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Steve,

Why would they want to run "diagnostic" checks on my system?

I didn't say they wanted to run a diagnosic test on your system. I said they need to install a "Utility" to run their software, a "Utility" similar to Speed tests, dignostic tests, I-Tunes, anti-virus, anti-spam, malware, etc.etc. The utility monitors the program, helps it function and automatically checks for updates.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
To this day, I still like Nikon better than Leupold. I went backwards when I made the switch many years ago when I parted with my Nikon because so many people told me it was inferior to Leupold. Not with my vision.

I'm with ya Doc! I've got 'em both and my Nikons fit me better. It seems as if the eye relief on my Leupold scopes don't fit my eyes. I'll buy Nikon before a Leupold any day for my use.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote