New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thumler's Tumbler
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When I got home yesterday UPS had left my new Thumler's Model B, after getting it put together I sat there a long time watching the purdy little red drum going around and around.....Today I think I'll put something in it...How do you get the best results with it? Full.....half full...just a little media and brass? Thanks, CSJ.

Posts: 88 | Location: Winchester Ky. USA | Registered: 04 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had mine since 1974, when I first started reloading! You'll like it!!!

I fill the drum 1/3 to 1/2 full of crushed wallnut shells with a little jewlers rouge or some of the pre-mixed media! I usually load it up with 100, 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag sized cases!

At first it will seem like it's too full! But, just let it run for a few minutes, and a lot of the media will be inside the cases!

I will normally load it up in the evening and let it run until the next night!
Have fun; Chuck

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tumblers are great, but you have to experiment with them. The major problem is using too much cleaning agent. If you get the media wet it will leave a film on your cases as well as get stuck inside the case. Also check your media and throw it out when it gets dirty. It will fail to clean properly when dirty. If you use two teaspoons of cleaner, then use only half that the next time with the same media. This is what I meant by experimenting. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck and Cal,
Thanks for the replies and directions, I have plenty of media and I think I try Flitz for the cleaner. CSJ

Posts: 88 | Location: Winchester Ky. USA | Registered: 04 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Bill T>
posted
I've had one since about 74 also, and mine still works great. But I have since switched to the large Dillion Magnum FL-2000 viabratory model and I like it much better. I use ground corn cob media with Dillion Rapid Polish and the dirtiest millitary cases come out spotless and shining in about 4 hours. The Thumler's Tumbler is still good for small jobs so I'm glad I never sold it. It does take longer however to achieve the same results with the same media. Bill T.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill T,
Thanks for the reply, if this one last that long I'll either be dead or too senile to use it (I'm kinda long in the tooth now!!) CSJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
The first one I bought was the large Thumblers. I've used it for over 10 years and had to replace one belt.

I use it mostly for scrubbing lube off of FL sized cases. Fill it between 2/3 and 3/4 full of corncob and add 100 .308 cases and let um run overnight.

For cleaning I bought a Thumblers case vibrator where I use walnut and a dab of rouge.

Posts: 62 | Location: SF East Bay Area - California | Registered: 20 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
djl4570,
Thanks for the reply, you and Chuck White both mentioned useing jewlers rouge, the only jewlers rouge I'm familar with is in stick form for use on a polishing wheel.... can you get it in powder? CSJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my jewelers rouge as a "free-bee" from a jewelry store operator!
This stuff is very hard and will last a long time, because you don't use much of it!
I use a coarse file and just hold the stick of rouge over my tumbler while filing off a small amount onto the media! Just don't over-do it, no sense in wasting it!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck,
I've got a whole stick of jeweler's rouge and a bunch of files....I'll give it a try. CSJ