Find
Notify
Tools

? on 220gr Sierra RoundNose in 300 WinMag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
I'd like to collect some of your learned opinions on the usefulness of the 220 grain Sierra RoundNose. So far I have only fiddled with it at the range, where I can get 2500fps and 1" groups at 100 yards. I have yet to try 200 yards. I'll be trying to up the fps a bit to see if the 1 MOA is still there.

My question is this: Would you feel comfortable with this bullet in the field? I'm thinking it would be good medicine on brown bear, but I read a lot about the FailSafe bullets in lighter weights. Does this classic design still have a place on the shelf?

Any advice and real-world experience would be much appreciated.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
The round and flat nose bullet was designed to function in tube feed magazine rifles. There are so many of those rifles still in use today that the market for those style bullets is high or they would stop producing them. The RN and FN bullets are well made and produce very good results under 150 yards. They were designed for a specific purpose and to be used in a lever action tube feed magazine rifle. They perform so well on game that many relaoders use them in their hunting rifles at short to medium range hunting. The RN and FN bullet mushroom well and are ideal bullets for light to heavy cover hunting venues. For medium range hunting of Deer, Bear, and Moose the RN bullet is ideal.

<George Riedel>
posted
Hey Gonzo,

Thats a good boolit, I beleave the US Army Marksmenship Unit uses 220 MatchKings for their 1000 yds shooting, as their snipers for a .30 cal.

A 220 gr RN will knock the snot out of what ever ya want to shoot!

I use 200 grain Partitions in my .300 WM Winchester LRH, I would not mind shooting a 220 either

George