THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Loads for 30-30 Win using S321...Anyone with advice??

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for 30-30 Win using S321...Anyone with advice??
 Login/Join

posted
My Speer Manual does not have any info for Somchem S321 and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on using this powder behind A 15Og flat nosed soft in a pre 64 Winchester 30-30

Posts: 22 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never heard of that powder, what's a comparable burn rate? The 30-30 usually has a modest charge of a faster rifle powder. I'd think google should find something, if data is available.

NRA(Life),Veteran, RMEF,RGS,DU

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
looks like S321 is a lot like Norma 201.
I would start with 32.gr and not exceed 33.5gr.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi...Yes the Somchem S321 does appear to be on par with N201, My Speer Manual suggests between 26g - 30g for a 150g bullet....you suggest significantly more than these figures???? Please help a newbie out here and tell me why you suggest more??

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Somchem S321

That data was strait from the Norma website. Looking back I think that those numbers are a little hot for a lever action. Keep in mind that the 30-30 is downloaded because the lever action is not as strong as a bolt. I think the Norma site reflects data generated for bolt actions or their single shot equivalent. Looking at my hodgdon book it lists 27-29gr for bench mark, which is a little faster. That being said, 28-30.5max seems more reasonable.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ok Awesome...many thanks for the clarification.
Appreciate the advice.

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I would be a bit nervous assuming a listed charge for one powder would be safe and reasonable for another powder. Aproach with caution and chronograph to make sure the results seem reasonabe and safe.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to this South African site and you will definitely get help there:
http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/forum.php/

posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys for the info.....thought i had settled on a load of 29g of S321 but maybe try and get some advice off site mentioned....thanks again!