THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt hard to close and open on Styer SSG???
 Login/Join

<heider>
posted
I have one of these rear locking lug rifles and recently loaded some necksized brass that I had originaly fired in this rifle. The bolt is hard to close on a round and hard to open on a fired one.
Other wise shows no pressure signs and shoots well. It seems to work better after I lubed the lugs though. Should I full length re-size?
Whats the problem?

<Kimmo E>
posted
The problem is probably the rear locking lugs that allows the brass to expand to much. Try full lenght resizing, and dont reload the brass to many times.

Kimmo

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
If Kimmo E is right, and I expect he is, you should be getting an indication of sticky extraction when using fresh unfired brass. The bolt is backing up and momentarily stretching the length of the action between the bolt face and the locking lug allowing the brass to stretch that same amount over and beyond the normal chamber length.I would guess it to be a small number perhaps between .0005" and .002". This was the case with a Winchester Mod. 95 in 30-06 I once owned. The fired cases all had to be full length resized before they would reenter the chamber.My humble opinion; take it for what you think it is worth.
Roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote