New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Bore Cleaning, What is good enough?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a Pac-Nor barrel, and read what their web page has to say on the subject. I think it is about as good a system as I have seen.

http://www.pac-nor.com/care/

While talking with them, I learned that they are moving away from JB paste. It's good stuff, but they are seeing a lot of barrel damage from careless use. Cleaning rod scores the inside.

When they get a barrel back that is not shooting, it is usually either cleaning damage, or copper fouling.

They use Witch's Brew, which is new to me, to remove the copper. I ordered some, and am going to give it a try. It says it has no ammonia.

For a clad cleaning rod, I'm going to assemble my present screw-together rod, and Locktite the joints. Then, I'm going to slip a piece of electronics shrink tubing over it, and shrink it snug.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What sort of damage are they finding from JB's? I've used JB's since my rifle was new and have seen great results. It now only takes one pass with kroil, a couple of patches with JB's, a kroil patch or two and a drying patch to get it clean.

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Denton,

That post is interesting. I didn't know the oil after cleaning would help reduce the amount of copper fouling, but makes some sense. I like to read every barrel makers recommendations. I have even called the others who don't state anything about barrel care on their web site.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm on board with Jules! I have to add another endorsement for Wipe-Out. I bought some clear tubing at the hardware store and zip-tied it to the dispensor nozzle. I just shoot it into the barrel until the foam starts leaking out the muzzle. I plug the muzzle and leave it until morning. A couple of dry patches and off I go. If I'm in a hurry I use Coppermelt. I use M-Pro 7 for carbon in AR-15's. Better living through modern chemistry.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More bores are ruined with a cleaning rod than by shooting I'd bet....

I like Wipe Out foam, CR-10 in that order to remove copper fouling..but leave it in the bore about 20 minutes and with Wipe Out you can leave it in the bore for hours without harm....Butches is akin to pure water in my book...

The strongest copper remover is the homemade 25% amonia and Hydrogen Peroxide mix called Blue Goop by the bench resters, I use it when I am in a hurry to clean or if I have an impossible bore to clean...It requires some safety precautions.

Once a year after hunting season I clean my bores with one of the above followed by a polishing with Kroil and JBs, then cleaned ith Hoppes or whatever and a patch covered with RIG....

During my long hunting season I don;t actually clean my guns, I use a bore snake with some mild cleaner on it and thats about it..If I use monolithic bullets I will clean with Wipe Out one application, followed by dry patches and oil the bore lightly...shoot a couple to foul the bore and I am back in business....

A rifle bore does not need to be squeeky clean, otherwise you would not fire fouling shots!

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... For a clad cleaning rod, I'm going to assemble my present screw-together rod, and Locktite the joints. Then, I'm going to slip a piece of electronics shrink tubing over it, and shrink it snug....

Hey denton, That is an excellent idea on how to get a "Coated Cleaning Rod".

Got a question though. Ever since the Coated Rods appeared I've wondered about "particles"(trash, bristle fragments, etc.) sticking into the soft surface. So, I've stuck with regular old non-coated steel.

Any thoughts on stuff sticking into the Shrink Tubing?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wipe my rod off after every few strokes (that does not sound very good, does it?).
There are now some carbon fiber rods available that should not pick up embedded debris.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took wipe out's challenge. Take your cleanest barrel in your cleanest gun. Then use wipe out over night and see what comes out of the barrel. The first patch was blue as could be. I thought it was a very clean barrel. I am a believer after that. I had been using Shooter's Choice and Butches bore shine. If it doesn't need much cleaning I will use the last of my Shooter's Choice and butches but if it needs real cleaning I will use Wipe Out. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Parshal, you're probably not seeing damage because you're probably careful about how you use it. My understanding is that people who get carried away, and are rubbing a steel rod againste the bore, score the bore and cause problems.

I would venture a guess that if you use a clad rod, and a brass jig, or if you're a careful cleaner with a steel rod, you won't damage a bore with it. I use it for stubborn cases, and think it is great. I haven't had any problem, either, but I'm going to switch to Pac-Nor's recommendation.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JCN,
I use that exact same regimine. WipeOut is the best thing since sliced bread!

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I wipe my rod off after every few strokes (that does not sound very good, does it?). There are now some carbon fiber rods available that should not pick up embedded debris. JCN

Hey John, I wipe off both my Steel and Aluminum rods too as I use them. As I do, I've noticed how the trash is heavy at first as we would all expect it to be. I'm notoverly concerned about a "Brass" Bristle imbedding and causing a problem (due to it being softer than the barrel steel).

And perhaps there is nothing in the Powder Ash and Residue "hard enough" to actually scratch steel. If there was, I really believe I would have seen accuracy degredation a lot sooner in "my" rifles, simply because I typically clean the barrels every 6-9 shots at the Range. And after every 1-2 shots when afield.

I do adjust the Jag and Paper Patch so they create a very snug fit. And when using a 22cal size rod I can occasionally feel it "flex" slightly as I push against it. Over the years I've seen people mention Cleaning Rod damage and I don't have a good grasp on that subject.

When I look inside the barrel, I see a good many Lands in "my" rifles. When I mentally visualize the round Cleaning Rod bowing enough to actually touch something, it seems to me it would have to touch the "Top of a Land" for just a moment and not against the "Edge or top corner of the Land". Due to this, I really don't understand how that could "damage" a barrel.

If anyone has any insight into "how" the Cleaning Rod can actually damage a barrel, I'd appreciate you educating me on it.

I used the "Steel Twisted Wire" Brushes with the Brass Bristles for many years. The "early" ones had the ends nipped off, and I can see where the "end" of them has the potential to nick a barrel if the Bristles collapsed along one side by using too Large of a Brush in a Bore(voice of experience). But other than that, I don't see how "Cleaning a Barrel" can damage it.

And I always "lightly lube" the Bore after cleaning to make sure I don't get pits.

I am aware that if you leave some of the Ammonia Based cleaners in the barrel too long that they can create a problem. And I hear the same is/was true for some of the Electronic Cleaning Systems.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D Hunter, I took that Wipe-Out challenge too. The next day all my patches came out perfectly clean. I guess I was cleaning my rifles pretty good to begin with. However, as I stated before, I do like Wipe-Out for copper fouling over just about anything else now.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I bought some WipeOut the other day but I haven't used it yet. Squirting this stuff down the barrel seems like a different concept. How do you keep it out of the action?
Does someone make a some kind of chamber plug?
Thanks,
Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot core, next time you're at the hardware store, notice what the abrasive on some sandpaper is made of. Aluminum oxide! Now what do you suppose is on the outside of that aluminum rod? The cheap jointed AL. rods will bow and rub no matter what you do to them,(locktite will only assure they don't unscrew). I won't risk a chance of rubbing a hard abrassive against any part of my rifles bores. I've heard that ground glass is used in the primer pellet? I've never been able to substantuate that. But it would be very hard on bores,(it was in reference to primer residue causing ram wear in reloading machines).

I use dewey coated rods and pro-shot jags, flannel patches and brass core bronze brushes. Also a pro-shot adjustable bore guide, cleaning from the chamber end while supported in a midway vise.

I don't think getting ALL the copper out of a barrel is important UNLESS you are going to start using molly.

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To keep the Wipe-Out out of the action I clamp the rifle with the barrel lower than the action. I push the plastic tube into the chamber, then squirt the foam into the barrel. The foam doesn't back up hill. I almost feel guilty about not spending hours scrubbing out the barrel with weak ammonia cleaners, or worrying about putting stronger ammonia cleaners in a barrel and forgetting to clean them out for several hours (or overnight!).
JCN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff57, to guard against getting Wipeout in the action or on the stock, I use a Sinclair bore guide which has a rubber O-ring around the portion that fits into chamber. This seals the action from solvents. I've got a piece of vinyl that I place under the end of the bore guide (the end that sticks out of the action) to protect the stock from any Wipeout that might expand out of the bore guide.

A chamber plug won't work because it will prevent the WipeOut from expanding into the chamber end of the bore.

JCN, I like your tube idea too. I might try that.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff 57,
I just lightly stuff a large patch into the chamber, lay the rifle on its side with the barrel sticking out past the end of the table and directly over a bucket. I spray the WipeOut into the muzzle counting 1001...1002, then I quickly remove the WipeOut and block the muzzle with my finger until the foam starts to come out of the vent hole in the receiver ring. At this point I blot away any excess foam from the vent hole or muzzle then go watch TV. I come back the next day run 3 or 4 dry patches then a lightly oiled patch...DONE ! If you really want to be anal you can give a light scrubbing every 5th cleaning or so with a solvent to get some residual carbon or powder fouling out.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help everybody.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some comments on this thread:

I use a wood dowl and a cleaning patch to plug the chamber...I use a surgical tube of about 12 inches on the wipe out can, run it down the bore and squirt, then it will come sliding back you as the foam pushes it out, may need another quick squirt..Let stand several hours and dry bore and oil...

I use only SS one piece rods, aluminum should be a crime punishable by death; jointed rods are taboo; Teflon rods are abrasive to steel; coated rods collet "grit" ;

After a number of hot and heavy prarie dog, rock chuck and pinhead shoots I found that the boresnake with a bit of whatever on the brush and about 3 passes will restore accuracy to any rifle regardless of the number of shots fired through it..I usely make the 3 or 4 passes at about 100 rounds with most guns and 30 rounds with a couple of others depending on the bore...

I squeeky clean with SS rod and Blue Goop, JB & Kroil, Wipe out or whatever, only at the end of hunting season, then grease with RIG and store...Use a boresnake through the hunting season..More guns are ruined with over cleaning than by shooting I would bet...

I don't believe that anyone can clean a gun well enough that WipeOut will not get a blue patch of some sort..I have tried that too many times and if one does then he is certainly over cleaning his rifle and thats worse than not cleaning it...

remember too that a bronze tip or jag will make a patch turn blue with any Amonium cleaner like Blue Goop, CR-10 or Wipe Out etc...Use a nylon brush and steel jags with cleaning patches.

Again no need to get a bore squeeky clean as you stil have to foul it before it will shoot and with overly clean bore it sometimes takes upwards to as many as 10 or 20 shots to bring it to its potential..With a fairly clean bore it takes only a couple.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cleaned a couple of rifles yesterday for the first time with Wipeout, WOW!!! That stuff works. I've never enjoyed cleaning guns but that sure takes alot of the work out of the chore. I do like the idea about plugging the chamber and using a length of tubing. Thanks for everyones input.
Jeff

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Use a nylon brush and steel jags with cleaning patches.

Ray, who sells steel jags?

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
yea, who sells steel jags??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Although i'm using Wipe Out at this time....Brake Free also has a foam copper cleaner>>>>>>>>

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00071BCF3

While Wipe Out works great for gettin the copper out I noticed it don't get all the powder fouling. That is the reason I use M-pro7 with Wipe Out.

I must add this...When my barrels are that clean it takes somewhere between 6 to 12 shots before before it will start to group

I use Stainless and coated rods but I don't know about runnin a steel jag down the bore. I'll stick with the bronze ones.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've heard that ground glass is used in the primer pellet? I've never been able to substantuate that. But it would be very hard on bores,(it was in reference to primer residue causing ram wear in reloading machines).

Yes, ground glass is used in some primer mixtures, especially for rimfire cartridges where it enhances consistent ignition. Lots of other primer ingredients make more or less abrasive residues when they burn, like powdered aluminum which is found in many primers.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I don't know about runnin a steel jag down the bore. I'll stick with the bronze ones.

Just a comment but, when I run jags down the bores of my firearms, they have patches around them. I don't run jags down the bore except for this purpose. I'd have no apprehension at all about running a steel jag down any of my bores.

Take care.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does that patch always cover the whole jag?? Go right ahead. I'll not take that chance. Just can't see a reason to run a piece of steel "that is as hard or harder then the barrel steel? down none of my tubes.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, um, yes, it does. I personally wouldn't send a patch down the bore unless it covered the jag. Maybe other guys use smaller patches? Beats me.

Russ