New
Find
Notify
Tools

'06 165gr SST loads?
 Login/Join

<Horaceman>
posted
I am just starting in rerloading and this is the bullet I have chosen to start with in my Ruger MKII 30-06. What is a good powder to start with. This is a load that I will be using for hunting deer sized game on the plains of North Dakota. Efficency and accuracy are more importnat to me than speed. I realize that 165gr SST are pretty new so there may not be alot of direct experiences to go off of but I value any pertinent experience you can share so I can get off on the right foot. Thanks.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
The sst is basically the old interlock with a plastic tip--use any good 165 load and that would probably be any of the 4350's or h414 for best case fill/velocity--good luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use book-max load of VV N-550,CCI200 and older Norma case.My rifle doesn't like high pressure,but this works well.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would work up a load with IMR 4350. Three .30-06's I've loaded for showed excellent accuracy with this powder / bullet weight combo.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Try a compressed load using RL-22, WW brass and WLR primers. Start with a clean bore and work up. sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Give RL19 a try. I'm getting 100 yd groups under 1 in.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote