New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a 375 neck sizer.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am loading the 375 whelen improved for a bolt gun. Loading dies for this are $122 and a 90 day wait. The neck sizer is $80 and also a 90 day wait. Hornady makes generic neck sizers up to 35 caliber, but not a 375 caliber. My 375 JDJ die reduces the shoulder by about 0.004", so I need something better. I figure the next best thing is to buy a 375 magnum sizing die and cut off the bottom so that I can use only the neck portion of the die. Will cutting off a die be more than my hacksaw can handle? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 375 sizer is hardened and you have to soften or de-temper the die before surgery. I suggest you get someone to soften it for you, chuck it in a lathe and reduce the length to your specs. After the surgery, you need to re-harden it again.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Choping off a die can be done if you have the right cutters.

A freind cut off a Hornady 22 cal neck sizer , so I could use it for my 218 Bee.

I am not a machinest so when he told me what he did ,I had no clue .

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
If you want a large diameter neck sizing die then go to C&H Tools web site at http://www.ch4d.com. They make a large busing neck sizing die that will do the job for you. They aren't cheap, but it would be better than cobbling something together.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!