New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tearing myself apart...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Today is range day for the law enforcement agencies of the several surrounding counties where I live here in Nevada. There are dozens of officers down at the Carson City shootin' range right now, using all manner of police weapons in our favorite reloadin' calibers. I expect there will be thousands of .223, .45, .308 and .40 cases (all Boxer primed) just laying there when they finish. They don't pick it up. If they do, they sweep it up and throw it into a trash can. I'm an hour's drive away. I know all that delicious brass is there and that there are many of us in the pages who'd love to get it. But I fear if I went, by the time I got there, it would be all picked up by the other brassmongers who are there right now, just waiting for training to conclude. See my problem? I'd pick that stuff up and send it out to you guys for shipping costs only. But it's a gamble to make the trip. So I'll just stay home and try not to think about it. I have plenty-plenty of .223 for myself. I'd go get what Johnny Law is leaving on the ground for you gents-- if it wasn't so far away and there weren't so many vultures sitting in wait on it. Damn...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if you know about it, so do at least 12 other people. I get lucky about twice a year & am on the range when the locals come for CCW testing. Most are shooting factory ammo & leaving all the brass behind. Big Grin I haven't bought 9mm or 40 brass in 20yrs.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't bought 9mm or .40 brass in 20yrs.

I can dig it. I can't remember the last time I bought loaded ammo other than for testing a failure-to-chamber problem I had a few months back. Turns out that was my failure to size 'em correctly. Maybe I have a compulsion, but I just cannot leave a brass laying there that I know I can use-- or I know I can give it to someone else who can use it. Is this a condition brought on by our present political climate? If so, the only treatment is a massive dose of Freedom-- to be administered on November 2, 2010 with a follow-up in November 2012...

Really, I can't buy ammo. I refuse to pay half the cost of the box in the brass. I remember when a box of 20 Winchester .223 FMJs was five bucks. Wolf was a buck ninety-nine. A thousand rounds of 7.62 x 39 Wolf was ninety-nine bucks. Look at it now. It's crazy. All that brass laying around just 45 miles from me is driving me nuts...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Just remember-----20 years ago fuel was a lot cheaper as well. In 1978 when I started drivng it was around .60 -.70 a gallon.

Point is everything is relative----my dad used to tell me about nickle Cokes!!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My dad used to tell me about nickel Cokes!!

I remember back in 1964, Paul Erickson (bad kid from across the field) and me would buy cigarettes from the vending machine at the Walla Walla Airport for 20 cents a pack. We were six or seven years old. I pinched the money from a wine bottle full of dimes my mom kept in her closet. We'd buy the cigs, then ride our bikes up to the softball fields where the Air Force troops would play softball on the weekends. We would attempt to smoke, usually ending up just coughing ourselves silly. My parents don't smoke. Paul's did, so that was where we got the idea to try it ourselves. We also bought soda in bottles for 15 cents from the vending machines that had the bottles laying on end, cap facing outward, behind a narrow door. Remember those? Remember they had a bottle opener on the front? The Sixties sure were a good time. My house on the air base is no longer there. It's now a chemical business selling liquid fertilizers for all the agricultural stuff around there. Most everything else I knew in the '60s is there. Just my house is gone...

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
WOW---things are different now. My dad played in the first Cottom Bowl ever played and played in the 1940 World Series! Times were different for sure!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
I pinched the money from a wine bottle full of dimes my mom kept in her closet.

Quite telling! Roll Eyes

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
always get a kick out of that shoot. sure does have alot of expended ammo for the amount of hits. couple years ago they did a drill with shottyguns at 15 yds and only 1 cop hit the target

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I fear if I went, by the time I got there, it would be all picked up by the other brassmongers who are there right now,

Reminds me of the time the gov. removed and was going to toss a 250 lb. chunk of parabolic antenna counter-balance lead from a NASA station. But, some damp thief stole it before my bullet casting buddy and I could get it; seems you just can't trust some folks!

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
Just remember-----20 years ago fuel was a lot cheaper as well. In 1978 when I started drivng it was around .60 -.70 a gallon.

Point is everything is relative----my dad used to tell me about nickle Cokes!!

I started driving around that time too, and at the time we lived north of Chicago almost to the Ill/Wi border. At that time there were no self serve gas stations in Illinois, but there were over the line in Wisconsin and gas was 45 cents a gallon. I had an old Saab 96 that held just shy of 10 gallons, and so back then there was just no way you could fit $5 of gas into that car! In fact, if you fit over $4 into it you had crawled into the station on fumes pretty much. Of course, I don't remember what minimum wage paid back then and we always seem to forget that part of the equation!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Report from my friend who lives just over the hill is that a buddy of his picked up a thousand .223 cases. It could have been me...