Find
Notify
Tools

Components Shortage easing up?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
I'm still waiting. Is anyone noticing availability becoming better?

I was just at Midway to see. I still have primers to last a while, but as soon as I notice the backorders easing up I'm gonna order some more. Problem is they are almost all saying out of stock, no backorder. When is this gonna end?

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Availability is certainly better now. Lots of powder and some primers trickling in...even Federal small rifle but mostly Remington and CCI.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jb has nearly doubled in price along with certain bore brushes.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Last weekend I was able to buy rifle bullets in .224 and .308 that I hadn't been able to find for months. The price was also about pre shortage levels too. I also picked up some bullets for reloading .380 ACP that had not been available for most of this year. These days I may have to check with a couple of local stores to fill my needs but I have not come up short lately.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still sparse on primers Powder was never an issue for myself or Powder Valley for the most part .

Bullets as well as brass seem available ( prices have shot up PUN intended ) on everything .

It looks as though Inflation has already started . Primers are the KEY FOCAL POINT IMO !.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I snagged two of the four boxes of .223 primers at Carson Armory in Carson City, NV yesterday. Paid double what they were two years ago at $40 a box. High? Yes. Hard to get? Yes. Do I need 'em? I have a ton of .223 brass without primers in 'em. I bit the bullet. I can eat cup-o-soup for a few weeks so I can shoot for a few years...

Carson Armory has some good stuff. Call 'em at (775) 883-4409 and see if they might have what you need...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear the primer situation is getting better, I have several 1000 of what I need so I didnt get too concerned hoping this was a temporary situation. I think American Rifleman had a commentary recently by the editor where they looked into the primer/powder situation and found that there was no change in the supply end, just a frenzy of people buying in fear.

That said, I went to Academy to get my hunting/fishing license today and took a stroll down the ammo aisle. There were plenty of holes in shelves and OUT OF STOCK stickers in places and the ammo they had was priced at over a buck a round...makes me glad I reload. The price of factory ammo is driving several I know to attempt reloading...which should stimulate the ecomony of local "smiths" fixing what they mess up with miserable loads. I know a guy whose loads have ruined two rifles and he is now helping another guy load ammo!!! God help them! I tried to warn them, the one guy thinks ANY powder should be able to work in ANY rifle, so I plan to not be around them when they shoot!!!
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know a guy whose loads have ruined two rifles and he is now helping another guy load ammo!!! God help them! I tried to warn them, the one guy thinks ANY powder should be able to work in ANY rifle, so I plan to not be around them when they shoot!!!

Please do what you can to get a reloading manual in front of this moron. He is going to injure or maybe even kill someone. I suppose we'll see him added soon to the list of those voluntarily leaving the gene pool...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I work in the hunting department at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Medford, Oregon. The component aisle is one of my aisles, and things remain sparse. We actually had most sizes of Remington primers on the shelf for several days this week, and some CCI 200s for several hours. Powder remains tough. Alliant powders have been relatively abundant compared to those from Hodgdon and Ramshot. We have long lists of guys waiting for Varget, the 4350s and the 4831s in particular. But supplies seem to be getting a bit better each week. That said, see to your hunting ammo well ahead of opening day this year!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found one place here in minnesota with primers at a reasonable price, but they limit you to 1000 per visit

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Found one place here in minnesota with primers at a reasonable price, but they limit you to 1000 per visit

Hell, go in two days runnin' and you've got enough for five years. How much for a brick of small rifles?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go back, but don't have the time. Its over an hour away. 35.00 for small rifle, large rifle, magnum rifle, small pistol, and large pistol

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
The line, outside, at the Orange County Gun Show for primers, bullets and powder was about 50 yds. long when I arrived. I did not paticipate as I need non. Small primers were going for $29.00 and there seemed to be no shortage. roger

My Dad said Talk is cheap it takes money to buy whiskey. Do it and than talk about it. Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!!

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
The line, outside, at the Orange County Gun Show for primers, bullets and powder was about 50 yds. long when I arrived. I did not paticipate as I need non. Small primers were going for $29.00 and there seemed to be no shortage. roger

My Dad said Talk is cheap it takes money to buy whiskey. Do it and than talk about it. Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!!

I won't even go anymore, the lines are rediculous. With the 9% ST, I would rather order & wait. coffee

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Small primers were going for $29.00 and there seemed to be no shortage. roger

Damn it!! I paid $40. I didn't go to the Hilton show last week because I figured there would be a million people there, all looking for the one flat of primers that I assumed would be there. Turns out the place was nowhere near as packed as it has been in past years. I didn't go; I was told that by the owner of the place where I bought the $40/box primers. I did OK, though. Even if I had been able to buy primers at $29/box, I would still have had to pay $12 to get in, $10 in gas and $7 or so for a burger at In-n-Out. Those primers would have then cost $58 a box for one and $29 for the two I did buy. Hmmm. Maybe I did get mine for $29 a box. Isn't economics cool?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Homebrew, this guy has several manuals but it doesnt seem to help. Somehow he just isnt mechanically inclined. I know he looks at a manual for a caliber, and picks a load based on the least amount of powder he can use. He has a Dillon press and he had loaded about 1500 223 rounds when I arrived and noticed the shoulder was set WAYY back on the loads!! He said he thought he could chamber them anyway in a bolt rifle!!! I think that was the last time I was in his shop.
You cant fix stupid, I tried.
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can't fix stupid. I tried.

You did all you could. That's all we can ask. When he hurts himself or someone else, he will have to look back on the warnings he was given, and know he will have no one to blame but himself...