New
Find
Notify
Tools

headspace question Savage 99A
 Login/Join

<alaskamaryann>
posted
I loaded and shot some reloads today out of a Savage 99A, Rem. once fired cases, fed#210 primers,36 gr. WW760, and 100 gr. Hornady sp. The primers were ever so slightly raised on the fired brass, is this a headspace problem,and if so what is the fix? This rifle does the same thing with factory ammo.
Thanks Steve.

<Savage 99>
posted
It maybe a headspace problem and therefore a safety problem. Also it may missfire.

Cut up some small pieces of a beverage can and see if you can close the breech block on one or more of them on the back of a new case.

Of course you can take it to a smith or buy a no-go gage also.

What cartridge is it?

I have a 99 with some headspace and I make .358's out of 30-06 brass. Works great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
IF it is a headspace problem (can't really tell from the brief description) then you can resolve it either expensively by setting back the barrel and rechambering, or inexpensively by making your cartridges fit the existing chamber. That latter solution means using case-forming techniques employed with wildcat cartridges. If you're near Anchorage I'd like to meet you to discuss this.
Jerry/AK
jwatkins@customcpu.com

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just don't push the shoulders back any further than is required to chamber easily. Whalla! Your "headspace" problems are solved!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<alaskamaryann>
posted
Sorry about the sketchy info. These were .250-3000 rounds through a Savage 99A made in 1971 or 1972. These were once fired cases trimmed to 1.902 loaded w/ 36 gr. WW760 and 100 gr. Hornady spire points. They grouped about 1-3/4" at 100 yd.I also had some factory ammo, Remington 100 gr. corlokt bullets. The primers were raised slightly with these rounds also. There didn't seem to be any other problems to suggest high pressure which I wouldn't have expected with these loads.The col. for these cartridges was 2.50
ps. I guess the name implies I'm from Alaska, but I'm from the lower forty eight.
pps. Maybe I should adjust my sizer die {RCBS} so it doesn't quite cam over, and see If that helps. Thank you for your replies.
Steve.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
When you say the primers are "raised", are you saying the face of the primer before firing was flush with the face of the case and then above the face of the case after firing? Or are you saying there is a raised edge around the firing pin imprint after firing (cratering)?

If the former then it does sound like a chamber headspace problem since it happens with factory ammo too. If the latter then there may not be a problem at all.
Jerry/AK

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote
<alaskamaryann>
posted
Hi Jerry,
The primers were flush or just below the surface of the brass before firing, and the whole primer was raised above the surface of the brass, about .3000 after firing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alaskamaryann:
Hi Jerry,
The primers were flush or just below the surface of the brass before firing, and the whole primer was raised above the surface of the brass, about .3000 after firing.

I think you mean raised .0003 after firing (or more likely .003"). This is a classic sign that the head-to-shoulder dimension of the cartridge is somewhat shorter than the corresponding dimension of the chamber. This is not at all uncommon in brand new, unfired factory chambers, especially in lever actions which the manufacturers tend to give rather generous chambers to ensure ease of chambering a round. If ammunition consistenly fires without any problem and only gives you three-one thousandths of back out, then the gun is perfectly safe to fire.

To make your cases last, avoid a potential head separation, and possibly improve the accuracy of your loads, back your resizing die out of the press just enough that your sized brass still rechambers but is sized minimally. That way the shoulder will hold the head close against the bolt face and case stretch and primer backout will be largely resolved.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
alasksamaryann,

Get someone to look at the rifle and fired cases for you.

I am concerned that your not measuring things just right. On the other hand your concerned which is good so don't fire the rifle again until someone with a headspace gage checks it out.

The dimension cannot be .300" as primers are not that high. If it's .030" then it's a major concern. If it's .003" then it's just a situation that judicious handloading will cure.

Feel inside of a empty fired case with a wire near the base. Do you feel an insipiant head separation?

<alaskamaryann>
posted
Sorry about the misprint on trhe primer backout measurement. The correct measurement is .003". I should have read my post more carefully.