Tools

Re: Heavy .224 caliber bullets
 Login/Join

<eldeguello>
posted
What is your definition of "heavy"??

one of us
posted Hide Post
those SMP bullets from Sierra also come in a 55 grain and 50 grain SMP. They made a 45 grain one, but they canned it.
They heard I had started using it!

Cheers
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Bullets could be loaded backwards. The Partition bullet would expand as the base is open.

Hey Don, What kind of accuracy did you get when you tried this?

I tried it with some 55gr FMJs a very long time ago and found that a Rabbit at 25yds would be SAFE about 50% of the time.

Hey Z1R, You might find a Lead Gas Check bullet of your liking, but you would probably have to pour your own. The 22cal Lead Bullets can be a bit of an aggravation to make compared to the larger diameters.

I know Beanie's used to make a 45gr Lead Gas Check, but that was the only 22cal bullet he wrestled with. He always gave me a bad look when I asked him to make another run.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT would be a heck of a hollow point!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullets could be loaded backwards. The Partition bullet would expand as the base is open.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HotCore,

I used to reload the FMJ bullets backwards for friends. They were to cheap to buy hunting ammo and we got the 06 ball free. The ammo we had was open base lead filled bullets.

I remember watching one of these guys shoot a Remington 760 loaded with that ammo. He made a 4" group at 200 yds and it was on target.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... He made a 4" group at 200 yds and it was on target.

Hey Don, From my experience, I'd only wonder if it was the same target he was shooting at.

Glad to hear they worked out for you all. How well did they work on Game?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Heavy being 70+ grains hence the need for a fast twist barrel. So far the Speer semi spitzer seems the best option but I was hoping for something more along the lines of 80-90 grains and of a soft point or expanding variaty. Think Hunting. Most of the heavy weights I've seen seemed to be target oriented.

Thx.

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady TAP bullets [law enforcement and tactical only] are 60 gr soft point, kind of round nosed. They are being surplussed right now for 3.5 cents/ bullet at Midsouth.

I got a couple thousand of them from Lock Stock and Barrel this spring and had them moly coated.

In my Ruger #1 223, which is 1 in 12" or 1 in 14", those bullets shoot very well.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never used them. I am not sure if the old vet ever shot anything with that load. The gun kicked too hard for him.

He had an early Remington in 243 with the dog leg bolt and a short barrel. Even that rifle kicked too hard for him. This was before recoil pads were common. At the time I was into the excellent 75 gr Sierra HP for target and varmints. He wanted that loaded up but light. I know I used IMR 3031 and I bet I have the load recorded somewhere but lets say it was a very light load and let it go at that.

He loved the load. He shot a buck and it ran thru a field, over or thru a fence and died by the tailgate of his truck. To this guy that was perfect bullet performance.