New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman 1200 DPS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I purchased a Lyman 1200 DPS about a year or so ago. I plugged it in the other day and gave it about a day before using. It would not program. I tried and tried and finally wrote Lyman. They assigned a claim number and then did nothing to assist. Terrible service on a perfectly mediocre scale and charger. I believe they have a substandard piece of equipment and highly recommend people avoid purchasing their equipment. After they refused to correspond I bought an RCBS unit. Hopefully it will perform as advertised.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
thanks for the report!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1415 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman 1200 and it is an excellent piece of equipment, excellent.

I have had it for several years. One day the keyboard shit the bed. The warranty had long since expired, but I called Lyman anyhow.

They told me to send it in for repairs. After a couple weeks My 1200 was returned to me with a new keyboard, new "Hop-up kit" and a new check weight. All for FREE.

Excellent customer service and excellent product.

I highly recommend the Lyman 1200.

Nine times out of nine it's pilot error and not the unit itself. Sometimes one just has to be smarter than the product.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They assigned a claim number and then did nothing to assist

Did you send it back to them.

They most likely realized it needed to be sent in.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use two of the Lyman 1200 DPS and have for several years. The have always performed perfectly. If anything ever happens I will send them to Lyman immediately and am sure they will respond. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
They assigned a claim number and then did nothing to assist

Did you send it back to them.

They most likely realized it needed to be sent in.

Good point. A claim number don't do shit all by itself. Never had a Number fix anything yet.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by strapman:
I purchased a Lyman 1200 DPS about a year or so ago. I plugged it in the other day and gave it about a day before using. It would not program. I tried and tried and finally wrote Lyman. They assigned a claim number and then did nothing to assist. Terrible service on a perfectly mediocre scale and charger. I believe they have a substandard piece of equipment and highly recommend people avoid purchasing their equipment. After they refused to correspond I bought an RCBS unit. Hopefully it will perform as advertised.

If you haven't sent the unti to them, they can't proceed with the claim to fix or replace it, check the claim status. FWIW, I've had one for many years, the power supply adapter failed after 6yrs of faithful service, I called and they sent me a new one for $10.

http://crm.lymanproducts.com/index.php

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not sent it back but am going to call them and ask to do such. A very good friend had the exact results I have had. He sent his back and they never responded. NEVER RESPONDED. Go figure, maybe they are getting so many back they don't want to see anymore.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uhh, the friend that sent his in...did he never get it back or what? There has to be more to that story.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by strapman:
I have not sent it back but am going to call them and ask to do such. A very good friend had the exact results I have had. He sent his back and they never responded. NEVER RESPONDED. Go figure, maybe they are getting so many back they don't want to see anymore.

Right, he sent back a $250 unit for repairs and they never responded? BULL SHIT.

Either your friend is a complete idiot or he and you are full of shit! Or Both!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one and love it. I did have trouble with mine not returning to zero. I sent it back and they told me they did not make parts for that older unit anymore but offered me a brand new updated unit at half price. I told them to just send my old unit back. When I got it back it had been gone over and was fine. Not sure what the deal was but it works fine now.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had one, but after its second trip back to Lyman it went to e-bay!

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have one I'm real happy with, never a problem.
I had a cell phone that bothered the unit a bit kept signalling to be calibrated but get the phone away and it works great, I modified the audible speaker that tells you when the charge is weighed (I "quieted" it).
The unit works perefect and if anything ever went wrong I'd send it right in.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one that was among the first made and it's still cooking. Other than a call to the factory when it started throwing up crap numbers. The nice lady on the phone told me to wipe it down every so often with a anti-static cloth. That fixed my problem.
I have a Ohaus 10/10 and every so often I will proof them against one another. They're both right on.
I still don't believe the story about the unit being sent to Lyman and they kept it and didn't respond.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:

I still don't believe the story about the unit being sent to Lyman and they kept it and didn't respond.

I don't either, but maybe, just maybe it's true. It does say "Made in China" on the box and the unit. Could be the OP's friend boxed it up and sent it off to Lyman Inc, China. Bout the only explanation I got.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From Lyman's FAQs...

http://www.lymanproducts.com/l.../scales-measures.php

Below are some helpful troubleshooting hints for getting the most out of your DPS 1200 Electronic Scale:

1. Be sure to use the adapter supplied with the scale.
110V Adapter – Model: A21535C; AC Adapter; Class 2 Transformer
Input: 120VAC; 60Hz; 7.5W
Output: 15VAC; 350mA
220V Adapter – Model: A21531GC; AC Adapter
Input: 230V; 50Hz
Output: 15V; 310mA; 4.65VA
2. Verify the voltage switch on the bottom of the unit is toward the correct voltage (110V for US)
3. Occasionally wipe the unit’s exterior and over the scale platform with a used non static dryer sheet such as a Bounce or ClingFree to inhibit static electricity.
4. Fluorescent lights, portable and cellular phones and other electronic scales and appliances can cause erratic readings. This includes close proximity to furnaces and air conditioners.
5. Scale must be placed on a stable, level surface, free of vibrations.
6. Stray grains of powder under the platform will also cause the scale to “drift” and give erratic readings. Carefully lift the platform straight up and sweep away any loose powder.
7. Verify the scale is in grain mode (GN in window) and that it reads 0.0 when calibrated. If any other reading is present, press the UNIT button until it reads 0.0.
8. Be sure the dispensing tube is snug inside the unit.
9. Keep out of drafts.
10. Always allow the unit to stabilize for 24 hours if it has been in storage or out of service for a while.
11. Empty immediately after using any nitro-based powders such as Tite Group and L’il Gun as this type of powder can damage the plastic parts.
12. Be sure to use the restrictor plug with the DPS 3 or Upgrade Kit if the scale is overshooting.
13. The Lyman DPS Electronic Scale is to be used with smokeless gun powder only. The use of any other material will void all warranties.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote