New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 6.5X55 loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Getting "adult" loads for the 6.5x55 is a little tricky.

If you have a modern action, it ought to be good for 60-65 KPSI. Practically all the loads out there take into consideration the old milsurp Mauser, which is good for something in the 50-53 KPSI range.

So I think you have two things working against you: First, lubed bullets don't develop as much pressure as non-lubed, and often generate slower MV's. Second, your loads are probably 10 KPSI or so lighter than what your action was designed for.

I'm not a big fan of working up until you see pressure signs. Most pressure signs don't start until 70 KPSI. Primers fall out at about 75 KPSI, and some people will work up to that, and then back off a grain. Dangerous.

Now the devil in the details is knowing how far up you can go from the published load to a max safe load for your modern gun. ROUGHLY, in my '06, a grain is a couple of thousand PSI. But without slapping a strain gage on your barrel, it's pretty hard to know how far to go.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 70 Win with a 22 inch barrel and I would like to have some higher velocity loads.

I have loaded some with 120 gr Noslers and 50 grs of Reloader 19. This is 1.5 grs over max as listed in the Nosler manual. My chronograph indicates an average velocity of 2663 fps. 51 grs of Reloader 19 produced only 2676 fps. All the bullets have been molyed

Factory loads: 144 grs fmj, PMC delivered 2326 fps.

I think I should be able to break 2700 fps.

Got any ideas.

Posts: 6 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: 23 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello CADude,

I have a Remington Classic in 6.5x55. It's very moderate in recoil and quite accurate. I use mostly
Lapua Scenar bullets in 108, 123 and 139grs, Lapua cases and VihtaVouri 550 and 560 powders. I used
Hornady 129gr bullets, Reloder 19 powder but didn't get really good results with them. I get 2800fps
with 43.0grs, of VV550 and either Nosler 120 BT or the Scenar 123gr. I probably can get higher velocities
since neither load is max, but I load for accuracy not speed. You can go to the Lapua website and request
one of their reloading booklets. It has the data you need. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just tip the powder keg, until the chrono reads what I want!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'm not a big fan of working up until you see pressure signs. Most pressure signs don't start until 70 KPSI. Primers fall out at about 75 KPSI, and some people will work up to that, and then back off a grain. Dangerous.

Backing off 6% [Vernon Speer's 1958 system ] would be backing off 3 grains for a 50 grain load, not one grain.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a guy who hand loads a lot of 6.5 x 55, I can see a few problems right off that indicate why you are getting such low velocities.

1. If the Model 70 is a factory chambering, it has a long throat to it. I bet you are seating your bullets way too deep in the case for that chamber. Their featherweight that I have will take a bullet in a 6.5 x 55 seated about a 1/4 of an inch or less in the case. You are probably experiencing a lot of free bore and the case is not allowed to build up pressure to take advantage of the powder charge that you are using.

2. Wing the moly coating.

3. Although slow powders are popular, since they lower pressures ( and cause the user to have to use (read buy) more powder). Since a bullet is seated very long in most 6.5 x 55 chambers, and the 6.5 case is one of the strongest if made according to military specs, one can build up pressures accordingly using mid range powders.
I am an IMR fan. I use a lot of 3031, 4895 and 4064 in my 6.5 x 55 loads. To make the world happy in here, I will advise you to work up etc, ( I personally assume you know what you are doing and are smart enough not to get stupid when handloading).

If you want a velocity load with a 120 grain ballistic tip, the fastest I have tested, and has real good accuracy, is with 44 grains of W 748. WORK up to this load. I have pushed it to 46 grains in several of my rifles. Velocity in mine chronographes at 3250 fps.

for overall cartridge length in a 6.5 x 55 winchester featherweight barrel, mine will swallow an OAL of 3.24 inches or 82.25 mms.

Good luck with it!
< !--color-->
Good luck

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have not determined just how deep the throat is. I have been seating the bullet to an OAL of 3.00. I do like the Moly coated bullets and I know it slows them down some, ok maybe a lot.

I think I'll try some different powders. And of course measure the throat depth.

But, 3250 fps! Just how long is your barrel? If I could get 3000 I would be dancing in the street.

CA Dude

Posts: 6 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: 23 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Backing off 6% [Vernon Speer's 1958 system ] would be backing off 3 grains for a 50 grain load, not one grain.

Good point, but I do know people who don't follow that, and ramp up until the primers fall out, and back down a grain.

So if you get your first pressure signs around 70 KPSI, and if you're shooting an '06, where a grain is roughly 2 KPSI, then backing down 6% will put you around 62 KPSI, which is not a bad neighborhood... a little hot for my taste, but not likely to produce a kboom.

The amount of random noise in the piezo system is high enough that the same lab has trouble reproducing their results from one day to the next, with precision that would impress us. Move the measurement from lab to lab, and tech to tech, and you get the discrepancies we all see in the manuals.

One good thing: The SAAMI standard includes a two standard error safety margin, as a buffer against sampling error. That works out to about 750 PSI or so cushion, which makes me feel only a little better.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a huge fan of tryingn to "redline" loads on a regular basis... not enough room for error in LOTS of areas, temp change, season to season, variations in powder/primer from lot to lot, etc....
However, you probably should be able to get to 2700fps with a 140gr bulllet, I would think. I shoot an old Swedish mauser, sporterized.... my load of 4350 gives me a chrono'd velocity of 2625fps, using PMC brass... I'm thinking it's about 44.5gr, but don't quote me on that... I'll have to go look at my load book to verify it.
I do know that at 2600fps, the 140gr will shoot clean through deer at 160yds... and the ballistic coefficient is good enough to make the trajectory pretty flat.

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CA Dude;

My barrel on my 6.5 x 55s are
Ruger 77 Mk2: 22 inch
Winchester Model 70 Ftwt: 22 inch
Winchester Model 70 Ftwt: 26 inch ( custom re barreled '06)
1920 Production Swedish Mauser: 29 inch

The W 748 Load was chronographed in the Ruger and the 22 inch Featherweight ( factory rifle). IN the 26 inch barrel Winchester, the velocity was not more than 20 fps or so higher.

If you want the 3,000 fps, just refer to load data for a 260- Remington, as a reference. I still stand by better luck will be obtained with mid range powders for 120 to 129 grain bullets.
140s it depends. 160 grain bullets definitely if you are velocity minded then that is where the slower powders come into play in my reloading experience with the cartridge.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote