Find
Notify
Tools

Wheel weights
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted
I was offered some wheel weights to buy. What is the going price for wheel weight lead still as wheel weights? Can someone help me out please?

I thank you kindly.

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last I knew of ww they were going for $20-$30/five gallon bucket... There is typically about 30# of scrap in a bucket, so figure roughly 70# of net, at least in my experience.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing to check, a lot of the new weights are not lead as we are use to. Some of the newer ones are an alloy not suitable for casting and need to be sorted out.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lots of zinc in the new ones. One will poison a pot seems like forever.

You melt the weights and turn the burner down a bit, and it looks like cottage cheese floating on the surface.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
These are old wheel weights found in an old barn clean out. They look like the old fashioned clip on weights. Probably as old as me. I feel I'd be safe as the old antimony stuff. Is that what is desirable for bullet casting? patriot

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check lead prices wheel weights well be listed scrap lead price is way down.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've paid as high as $40 for a 5 gal. pail full. Luckily, only about 10 lbs. ended up zinc and steel. cowws make great bullets and can be made even harder if water dropped.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Her is a scrap price listing:

http://www.scrapregister.com/s...es/united-states/260

the lead is all the way at the bottom. Wheel weights are 42 cents and "soft" lead which is somewhat pure I'd imagine is currently 62 cents.

Keep in mind this is what the scrap yards can sell it for, so I suspect they will pay 50% of this price to sellers.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote