New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on automatic powder dispensers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm considering buying a RCBS ChargeMaster. Are they "fast"? If you have one or a Lyman do you consider it worth the investment? I'd appreciate some input.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had an example of all of the current crop and I like the RCBS the best. Both the Pact and the Lyman had radio frequency issues with my cell phone and I must live with my cell. You will like the RCBS unit a lot.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i just got the rcbs one and have just started using it. the directions say its temperature sensitive & my loading room in in the garage so it stays in the house. I found it accurate, but kinda slow. I suppose the average was about 20 sec. per load using 46 gr of 4350. i believe it'd speed up the process alot to dump a grain or 2 short out of the powder measure and let the unit finish the job. have to use it a bunch more to really gain a firm opinion though

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS, love it. I really can't imagine loading with out it any more, fast accurate and simple to use. I have not noticed any problems with temp. changes

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have to agree on the RCBS ChargeMaster.

Fast, simple,and accurate! Don't know what took me so long to figure out I "Needed" one.. Big Grin

Posts: 24 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 16 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman DPS II that I upgraded with the kit to a near DPS III. Love it! Makes precision loading for my hunting rounds much faster. I don't use it for cranking out mass quantities of plinking rounds.

Go for it - I would never look back. Used DPS-II or a new DPS-III.

PS - Nothing against the RCBS - I just got the Lyman b-cuz, and love it.

Posts: 53 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the opportunity to use both the newer RCBS and the PACT scale/dispenser units. Both are great!!! You'll never go back to the 18th century once you get into the 21st. I have a friend who was using the old Lyman and was happy with it. I saw it work and I thought it was ok. I understand they've changed some parts on it and you can get an upgrade kits for the older ones that will increase the speed.

I own the PACT version. I've never experienced any RF interference that affects it, but I don't talk on my cell phone while I am handloading. In addition I do something that I think few hand loaders do until they have serious static problems. I work with all my equipment grounded (literally wired together to a ground wire that ends up bolted to a copper rod stuck 3' into the ground) to a proper earth ground. I use an anti static mat that is also grounded on the top of the bench.

I began doing it when I lived in Arizona where static was and is still, I am sure a very common problem. I worked in the electronics industry at the time and was maybe more aware of the possible hazards to equipment and such. I still ground everything in here WA.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load everything from .223 to .416 Rigby. I was planning on throwing the main charge via my old Lyman 55, 2 grains light, then "finishing it off" with the RCBS. Would this speed things up?

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the automatic powder dispensers are slower than I work, so I bought 2.

I have the PACT, and the Lyman.

With 2 going at the same time I never have to wait on a charge.

My only complaint about them is the design makes it mildly inconvenient to change powders.
I'm surprised that wasn't fixed in later versions.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When I was researching, it seemed like all the scale/dispensers all had at least one knock against them - except the RCBS. I bought one and really like it. It just about keeps up with me when I load .223's (i.e. while it drops powder, I am seating a bullet in the previously dropped powder's case).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS. It make working with the log type extruded powders a dream.
probably the fastest way to load with it is have it set up close to your press. Have it drop the charge into the case. Pour the powder into the case and set the pan back in place. (You can set it up to automatically throw the next charge) While it's throwing the next charge, use the press to seat the bullet. By the time that's done, the next charge is ready to put into the case. Continue as before. If you're fond of powders like 4350, 4831 and the like, the RCBS is a godsend. I've had mine for about 6 months now and i wouldn't be without one ver again. Well, at least as long as I have electricity. lol
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love mine. I've had one for years. I have the RCBS/Pact model. And mine is one of the older models. Todays models are faster. You can have one of the old models upgraded for about $75.00 to work at the speed of the newer ones.
The Pact and the RCBS are one of the same. Pact manufactures the RCBS models.

If I'm only loading ten or so rounds, I'll dump the powder into the scale myself, rather than having to set up everything and then put it all away. If I'm loading a bunch, I'll load with the RCBS.

Alfredo

Posts: 50 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got my Chargemaster yesterday.I will put it to the test this weekend!!!!! dancing

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote