New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killin Cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Alright guys... I havent loaded 45/70 in about 10 years so maybe I am forgetting something. But, I killed 4 cases this morning by kinking the cases while seating the bullet. I sized and belled and then bent. Kinda frustrating. Any ideas?

Gimme Back My Bullets!!!!
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting

QSMA President and Squirrel World Record Holder. 1.96 B&S

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club

Posts: 82 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either go to a separate seating and crimping or just back off on the crimp just a hair. I'd bet you are crimping too hard and crushing the case.
Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The logical setup procedure for setting the seat / crimp die is as follows:

Back the die out of the press until there is no crimp whatsoever when a cartridge is raised into the die

Adjust the seating stem (down) into the die until the desired seating depth is achieved. Back the seating stem all the way up in the die body

Raise the case with properly seated bullet all the way up into the die, then lower the die body until you feel resistance. Lower the die more (bit by bit, checking after each adjustment) until the desired crimp is achieved. You should only just be able to see the case mouth crimping.

With the cartridge still all the way up in the die, lower the seating stem until it connects the bullet firmly.

Your die should now be set up correctly.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check your brass length; the brass may have stretched. Then readjust your dies as previously stated. also check for build-up of bullet lube in the die (assuming that your using lead bullets). this will cause this problem also.
Mike

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote