New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upgrading The Way I Reload.
 Login/Join

<Don Martin29>
posted
It started with the "Case Master" that I got from RCBS. I found out how bad some of my cases are and that some have been good all of this time.

One of my "bad" cartridges is the .358 Winchester. What with the pencil thin bbls (1/8" wall thickness on a 99F) I have on these featherweights I never expected bench rest accuracy.

The runout and case neck wall thickness measuring features got me to turn the necks on the .358's I was getting too much variation in neck tension and runout.

So I got out the old Foster neck turning attachment and set it up and cleaned up some old and a box of new cases too. I shot the 99 today and got a group under an inch at 100 yards. This is quite good for such a light bbl and I hand hold the rifle (not rested on the forward bag, no butt bag). On top of that the scope is a 4X.

My lot control must improve also. No more making cases last forever and keeping the survivors. On my match rifle I did this by default by loading large lots of ammo and turning it over by the box.

So far it's paid off. I feel good about it.

So I took the Foster trimmer apart and put it in the lathe. Now things are powered up! I put the collet assembley into a three jaw chuck, cut down the T handle and I tighten it with a pipe from inside the spindle. The trimmers cutting shaft is now held in a chuck by the tailstock. I just set the stop with the tool post. It does a nice job. Case neck thickness variation seems less than the ability of the gage to measure it now. It was as bad as .003".

<BigBob>
posted
Don Martin29, The case master is a pretty handy tool isn't it? The sole problem I had with mine was the fact that I had to swing the dial indicater back and forth so much. Being very lazy, I called RCBS and had them send me another indicater and mounting hardmare. Now it's always ready to measure what ever it is that I want to start with. Just thought that you might be almost as lazy as I am and like the tip. Good luck.

[ 09-18-2002, 09:26: Message edited by: BigBob ]

<Rezdog>
posted
I also have the RCBS model plus a nice Starret set dial indicator with several mounting fixtures that I picked up at the local flea market (including a Starret 1" mic, all for $20 brand new). I want to find a nice thick, flat steel or aluminum plate so I can drill and tap and mount these two set-ups next to each other so they can work together as a team. I hate switching things back and forth.

<Don Martin29>
posted
My biggest problem is getting the device at eye level. I tip it now to read the dial. I don't want to put it high on a box and have it fall nor reach way up.

I have at least two extra dial indicators that I could add. Switching it to neck thickness is not a priority anyway as you can get neck thickness quicker with a caliper! Deep draw toolmakers check wall thickness with a mic. with a round anvil.

This device is easy to use and has really gripped me. It can't avoid it and it's added a lot more work to handloading.

I went to the range yesterday with the old .300 H&H and while the first shot at 100 yards from a clean bbl was 3/4" high at 100 yards the next three shots were in one hole shooting neck turned brass for the first time in this rifle.

My old shooting buddy was at the next bench with his .22-250 and I stayed right with him group wise with the M-70. He does not turn necks nor have a runout measuring device.

<reload>
posted
Rezdog, RCBS has the metal plate you are looking for it is a RCBS Accessory Base Plate Mfg #09280 - I have one and it works great, has the hole drill and threaded and fasteners included. Good Luck