New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornet, Very expensive reloading!!.
 Login/Join

<Enrico>
posted
I Live in Rome (Italy) and a couple of months ago I purchased a Ruger 77/22 Hornet in the hope to get a gun capable of good performances at low prices. I premise that I already own a #1 223R, a Sako 6PPC and a Ruger Varmint 22-250 and all shoots very well. Here the problem : in the attempt to develope a good load for the Hornet I soon discovered lack of 40/45 gr. bullet, I only got 3 boxes all around Rome ... and when ordered a higher volume I had a very high price tag even higher to Hornady 50 SX and Sierra 52 Match...Then a complete cartridge would cost to me the same of a 223R using premium components. So the conclusion is that I have to use these last bullets in order to preserve a decent save.Who has any experience
with high weigh bullets with the Hornet?. My best scores (for 4 five shots groups) are around one inch at 100 meters. I employed cases R-P neck sized , Fiocchi Small Rifle and have good results with Vihtavuory N110 x 7,5 gr.(Winch. 50 gr. bulk bullets) and Norma 200 x11,50 with Sierra 52 HPBT Match.
Even with difficulties I got some IMR 42227 and Winchester 296 but their results appair to be quite disappointing 1,5" or more. All cartridges are prepared with the ogive short of 0,010" from the land. Tried also FB =0 or FB = 0,020" with uncertain performances anyway no better than FB= 0,010".
I have on habd also French Powders Vectan and could experiment with them also.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks for your time: Enrico.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Enrico :
I have loaded some Sierra & Speer 50 grainers in the past just for plinking & game at short rages up to Duiker size . I dont know if you would be able to get some of Sonchems S265 ( South African powder )

if you can : )
Sart load of 9.5 gr for arround 2250 fps
Max load 10.2 gr for arround 2380 fps
Total OAl: 47mm
CCI 500 ( small pistol primers )
Winchester Brass

I am willing to try & post you some of the 45 & 40 grainers if interested. Arround here they retail for about R 130 - R 170 depending on brand.

Good luck & Good shooting

Rudie Potgieter

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Hogdgon Lil-Gun powder is one fine performer in the little 22 Hornet case. It is not possible to over charge a 22 Hornet case with Lil-Gun powder. It is possible to get about 500 round out of one pound of powder. I find that fact very pleasing when shooting my 22 hornet.

<eldeguello>
posted
Enrico, for plinking and target shooting, I use a Lyman cast flatnose gascheck bullet and 4 grains of Unique powder in my Hornet. It is about the same power as a .22 Long Rifle cartridge, and very inexpensive to shoot. Cases last forever, and bullets only cost you the price of some wheelweight metal. The bullet I use is Lyman Mould No. 225415. My mould casts a bullet .224", and I shoot mine unsized. If you use the bullet unsized, all you need is the mould.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rico: 1 inch at 100 meters is very good with a factory Ruger 77/22H. You should be happy. As to the relative cost between ammunition for your Hornet and a .223, there's really no savings to be had since the only real difference is in powder volume, and that is a minimal part of the cost.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with Stonecreek. The Hornet is not as "standard" as the 223/222. So(as you have found out) bullets may actually be more expensive than .223 equivalents. Look at it from the bright side, at least it will still be cheaper than a .470 The Hornet is still a neat round!

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola Enrico

Just check with Frankonia Katalog and you can buy directly S&B 45 grains for � 10.07 SP and � 8.64 FMJ , Sierra 45 grains for Hornet �14 , 55 gr cost �15 , only one Euro difference , try pistol primers in the Hornet you don't need small rifle .

Saludos Cordiales

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote