New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wadcutter Loads For S&W Model 52
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone load for and shoot a Smith & Wesson Model 52 .38 Special Target Auto? I've got a bunch of cases left over from a large handloading session that I'd like to load up with some hard cast 148 grain wadcutters. I'm looking for a nice light load that is just enough to kick the slide open, and drop the empty at my feet, not fling it halfway across the range. Any suggestions??? Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
With the Lyman 148grain wadcutter, I have good luck using 2.5 grains of Bullseye. A nice light load that keeps together at the 50 yard line, while allowing quick sight re-alignment.

Posts: 4 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
billt
I shot a 52 for several years in NRA Bullseye competition. I used 2.5 grains of bullseye for 25 yard timed and rapid fire. I either used factory wadcutters for 50 yard slow fire or 2.8 grains of Bullseye.
Gradually work up to the 2.8 grain load. Many people used 2.7 grains for 25 and 50 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 52 was made for the load of 2.7 gr of bullseye and a 148 gr hollow based wadcutter. this is what s&w tested for for their x ring accuracy guarantee

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always liked 3 grains of Red Dot under a 148 grain HBWC in my Model 52.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote