Find
Notify
Tools

Trimming the .405 Win Case
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Guys,

The .405 Win case is 2.58". Would it matter if I trimmed the cases to 2.5"? I will be shooting this cartridge in a P-14 action.

Thanks guys,

Smoker

Posts: 178 | Location: Pennsylvania - USA | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Short answer, NO it would not matter (if you adjust charge weight to compensate for the reduced powder capacity, assuming that you are reducing OAL as well ).

I have a similar situation with a vintage rifle that is built on an action which is barely long enough for the cartridge. If I want to use a crimp with it, I have to trim shorter than standard trim-to length to make the case short enough to crimp in the cannelure of modern bullets. I also reduce the the charge weight compared to another rifle in the same caliber that has a longer action, and allows bullets to be seated longer than the original OAL. Works fine .

That said, why do you need to reduce the length for a P-14? It is certainly much longer than necessary for the 405 Win (unless you are using extremely long bullets with the cannelure placed farther to the rear than normal).

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jim,

I have a coupe cases that have the mouths really roughed up. I want to trim well beyond where they are rough.

I will be shooting North Fork, 360 gr. bullets and, because of the way they the bullets are constructed, I will be able to crimp anywhere along the bullet's shank. I couldn't think of any logical reason why I couldn't shorten the case of a cartridge that head spaces on the rim, as long as I have enough room for the bullet to be seated properly.

My "logic" has been wrong before - so - I thought I'd ask.

Thanks, Jim! I need all the help I can get.

Smoker

Posts: 178 | Location: Pennsylvania - USA | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote