New
Find
Notify
Tools

starting to cast bullets.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am about to start casting bullets- ordered moulds and furnace. Can anyone suggest a how-to book for the beginner?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
You don't need a book. The instructions that come with the molds are sufficient.

My tip for you is to connect the ladle with the sprue plate and hold the two together while pouring to make sure that the base of your bullet fills out completely. If you pour from any distace, then the base will always have rounded edges.

This is something I finally figured out. None of the casting books explained that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree. I think the most important thing you can do is to buy a book like Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook. And read it. Otherwise you can go crazy just getting bits and pieces of information off a site like this, although this can be a good source of information.
If you are really serious you might look into joining the Cast Bullet Association. They publish a very informative bi-monthly magazine. The articles are contributed by members so you get information from people who are actively engaged in the sport. You can find them if you do a search.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Ill Second on the Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook it is a great way to learn. Read it from front to back you will pickup on information that will take you years to learn on your own.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.It helped me a lot.

Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lyman's "Cast Bullet Hnadbook, 3rd. Ed." is excellent. However, if you can't find it, RCBS' slim volume, "Cast Bullets, Vol. 1" is almost its equal, plus it can be found on EBay, Auction Arms, etc. for very little $$.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. There seems to be a consensus here. Ordered from Midway, on sale!

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote