Find
Notify
Tools

Which Powder - 160 gr RN in 6.5 Swede
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted
I want to work up some loads around the 160 grain Hornady RN in my 6.5 Swede (MRC Action). Ideally, I'd like to hit around 2500 fps. I have H4831, RL 22, RL 25, Retumbo, H4350 and Varget in good supply on my bench. What's worked for everybody here?

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornThe H4831 should get what you want. Accurate 4350 is also a good performer.
ConfusedThere is some questionable info in the Lee manual calling for 48 grains of H4831 behind the 160 grain bullet while only calling out a max. of 47 grains for the 140 grain bullets. bewildered Lee's info is extracted from everyone elses data so those numbers probably are printed elsewhere. No suprise there. The 48 grain load may even be mild in your rifle but be prudently caucious. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on bartsche's suggestions. H4831 and H4350 will get you all you want with the 160 gr bullet in the 6.5 Swede. I use H4831SC and AA4350 but the two you have will do fine.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MY Go-To propellant in the 6.5x55 is IMR4350.
but I generally load 140's

I'd never think about RL22, let alone RL25 or Retumbo

IMR4831? Yeah, that works well
H4831 would probably work but I've never used it myself.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
ya don't see it used much...

but I like to load that combo with 30 grains of RL 7...

MV is about 2200 fps, not the 2500 to 2600 you can run it up to in other calibers..

but recoil is substantially less, making it pretty darn enjoyable to shoot...
and it is also a lot flatter shooting than you think....and that heavy of a bullet with high sectional density, doesn't need a lot of velocity to do its damage..

that duplicates the original loads pretty closely I have been told..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Try the RE-22. I use 46 gr. with the Lapua 155 gr. Mega (Roundnose) bullet and routinely get half-inch groups. RE-22 is listed as the most accurate powder for heavy bullets in both the Nosler (#5) and Lyman (#48)manuals -- S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
My swede did not like Varget what so ever!
Sounds like someone here need to start working up loads.
Let us know how it turns out. Id be interested in how it works out for you.
I too agree with bartsche. +1

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Do you have any photos of your 6.5 Swede?

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote