Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the 338 winmag Gurus.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Deep Space Hunter
posted
I am reloading for a .338 Win mag for the first time, my grandfathers Mod 70 is finally in the hands of somebody who will use it -- Mine.

So my question is how long should i load those bullets? Should i load them to right around max Saami specs, or should I load them so they are closer to the lands?
Thanks.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dont worry about the "specs. Three things have to be right:
1. The ammo must fit in the magazine.
2. It must fit in the chamber.
3. The ammo must feed smoothly.

Hornady bullets have a cannelure on them, and they seem to be in the right place 99% of the time.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It all depends on what your magazine will allow.
For example, my Winchester M70 in .257 Robt. has a long action and a big asses block in the magazine. I cannot seat my bullets out any longer than SAAMI length. I have the same problem with my M70 in .300 Win. Mag.
Open the floor plate and see if there is a box blocking the length of the magazine. Compare that with the length of a factory round. I think you'll find that the magazine will restrict just how long you can make your cartridges. thumbdown I have two Winchester rifles in .338 Mag. and I've got the same problem there.
I think to correct the problem, you would have to get a new .375 H&H length magazine box, follower and bolt stop. Then you could even go so far as to throat out the barrel to seat your bullet of choice where you want it.
I've thought about doing that with my .300 Win. Mag. M70, but it shoots so damn good as is that I think I'll leave it alone. Same with my .338s.
Try it as is and see what happens. Kind of like Murphy's second law. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Wink
Paul b.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
No expert ( ex=has been, spurt=drip under pressure Big Grin) but I agree the mag box will probably determine your col before your to close to the lands. I'd still caution you not to assume anything though.
My .338WM in in an older Ruger M77 and I'm using 250gr. Woodleigh PP now that have a crimping groove. I seat them so I can crimp into the groove provided and they shoot really well. Could be luck but I'm not complaining a bit!

The Barnes manual recommends about .050" off the lands, and when I was using the 250gr. Sierras I seated them out about as far as they would feed reliably and if I remember right they could have been longer yet before the distance to the lands was an issue. You have to try a few things to see what it likes the best. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
What I have found over the years is that on most factory rifles I've loaded for that it is quite often impossible to reach the lands and have the round fit the magazine.

I first establish what COL the chamber will allow. Then reduce it to allow .02-.03" jump. If you are using the Barnes then increase it to around .05".

If this COL will hold the bullet and fit and function in the magazine I start with it. If not I use the longest COL that will fit and function.

Each bullet brand/type/weight could be different because of their shape.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I first establish what COL the chamber will allow. Then reduce it to allow .02-.03" jump. If you are using the Barnes then increase it to around .05".

If this COL will hold the bullet and fit and function in the magazine I start with it. If not I use the longest COL that will fit and function.

Each bullet brand/type/weight could be different because of their shape.

This is exactly how I go about it.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I generally prefer the longest seating that will both (1) fit in the magazine and (2) not bear against the lands. If the bullet just "kisses" the lands, that's fine with me. In most guns, this will be at least a tad longer than SAAMI specs. How much depends on the individual gun and the ogive of the bullet.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Rem 700 BDLSS/SYN in .338 Win mag. I just ran through my first batch of reloads. I have a lot of magazine length on that rifle 3.600 to 3.700 or thereabouts. I don't care because the rifle doesn't have a real long throat. I can reach the lands easily with the Hornady 225. By the way, I worked up to 75.3 gr RL19 with Win cases, Fed 210 Primer, and the Hornady 225 Ptspt. Gave acceptable accuracy for hunting 3 shots around and inch @ 100. Chrono'ed velocity was in the 2840-50 range without much deviation. I was pleased for the first loads the first time out. I seated so I was about 30 thou off the lands.

Posts: 69 | Location: Milwaukie, Oregon | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote