THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Commonly available brass for forming 7.65x53 (Argentine) brass

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Commonly available brass for forming 7.65x53 (Argentine) brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering what I can safely use to form 7.65 Argentine brass, without getting into a tight neck situation. Looks like 7x57, with a bit of trimming, might work. I know Norma makes it, but was hoping to find a cheaper, locally available substitute. Unlikely I will ever take my Buenos Aires Police carbine to Africa.

Thanks for the input,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Burke
posted Hide Post
coles distributing has 7.65 argy in stock.
its fnm ammo,non corr,boxer primed,and way cheaper than norma.$5.95/20.

http://www.coledistributing.com/

Posts: 111 | Location: Western Ky | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Grafs is getting some brass in any day now. Too bad the 8x56R isn't in that shipment.

[ 10-04-2003, 05:28: Message edited by: z1r ]

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
To contact Graf Tele 573-581-2666 fax573-581-2875
E-Mail customerservice@grafs.com
7.65X53 100 ea. $27.99
Roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Grafs brass is the way to go. I've got some and it is excellent. Not only is it formed correctly but it seems to be durable AND it functions well through the stripper clips. Worth every penny in my book.

However, if you must form... I've had good success with 8x57, .30-06, .270, and .280 Rem. That is the brass once formed is good brass. The 8x57 is the easiest to work with (easier than the 7x57 even). However, in my Argentine, the magazine lips won't retain the rounds 100% until after it is fireformed.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can make it out of 30-06 or any of like, 270, etc or you can make it out of 8x57 or any of the like, 7x57 etc, Just in case you've got lots around and don't want to buy it.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several hundred rounds of 270 Win brass -- I was concerned about getting into issues with excessive neck thickness and resultant high pressures, since I would be well down into the shoulder / body of the case by the time a formed a 7.65x53 case. Apparently I don't have to worry about that happening in this case? You'll please excuse my ignorance, I am not the most experienced reloader when it comes to things like case forming. Hey, at least I'm cautious and not reckless.

Since this is not an issue with the 7.65, it would appear I could also use some of my otherwise useless 270 Win brass to make cases for my 270/308 Ackley Improved?

Thanks,
Todd

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
.30/'06, 7X57mm Mauser, 8X57mm Mauser, any Mauser head-sized case that starts out a little longer than 53mm...... I've even used .308 cases, but they end up about 2mm on the short side in the neck!! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd, The .30-06 family of cartridges can readily be reformed for the 7.65 x53 Arg. Mau., as can the 8mm Mau., particularly if you have a reform/trim die. Even without one, it's not so difficult. However, once the brass is reformed, you should anneal it to prolong it's useful life and avoid split necks. Moreover, after the first firing, check to see if a fresh bullet will freely enter the case neck. If not, you'll need to ream the neck to (.311") avoid the "dreaded doughnut" and high pressures it may cause. Lastly, leave your brass a bit longer than spec. prior to fire-forming since it will shrink a bit once it fills out. Btw, until Graf & Son gets their act together on metric brass or unless you're willing to buy Norma brass, this may be a viable option for you. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote