New
Find
Notify
Tools

SR4759 - Aaaarghhh!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Am I the only one to have problems metering this stuff?

I found a load in the Sierra book for plinking loads for the .375H&H using this powder. I had no idea when I bought it what the individual grains looked like.

It's like a bottle of charcoal briquets! It clogs up the drop tube, and even clogs up a powder funnel.

I know when the 35 gr. load is off by 15 grains that the tube is clogged again, and have to remove the drop tube to clear it.

I'm using a Lyman measure, and I suppose I'll get advice to buy a Harrell...

Rick.

/disengage/rant/mode

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try dipping the powder. Make an old fashoned dipper out of a cartridge case. These are light plinking loads using a very bulkie powder. Minor variations are insignificant. Also drill out your funnel to the largest possible size that will work with that case.

quote:
Originally posted by rick3foxes:
Am I the only one to have problems metering this stuff?

I found a load in the Sierra book for plinking loads for the .375H&H using this powder. I had no idea when I bought it what the individual grains looked like.

It's like a bottle of charcoal briquets! It clogs up the drop tube, and even clogs up a powder funnel.

I know when the 35 gr. load is off by 15 grains that the tube is clogged again, and have to remove the drop tube to clear it.

I'm using a Lyman measure, and I suppose I'll get advice to buy a Harrell...

Rick.

/disengage/rant/mode

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using an RCBS Uniflow, and SR-4759 hasn't been any problem for me with that powder measure. It did give some trouble in my old pacific measure though.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee Powder Dippers, a take-off of the suggestion to make one out of an old case. It's a great propellant for low level loads.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee dippers. My RCBS measure balks with this powder. Feels like it is cutting the kernels and my loads aren't consistent.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Hey I started loading with IMR 4831 ( well Milsurp 4831) and a Lyman 55 measure way back when.
That is why I now have a RCBS and prefer loading everything with ballpowder!
Stick powder can be a pain in the 55.
I agree with the other post, cut off a cartridge case or get a Lee Dipper set and just dip the loads. "Splash" the powder down the side of the funnel and go plink away.
I have a plinking load for my 338 also. Fun, accurate, and don't have to get beat up . . . on top of that substitute a Hornady 200 graing flat point and it is plenty for the close shots in the woods for our TN whitetails!
LouisB

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote