Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reducing a .22-250 to minimize pelt damage
 Login/Join

posted
New member here from the last frontier of Alaska.

Not only that, but I'm new to the world of reloading and would like to get started in order to reduce the velocity of my .22-250 to minimize the explosive effects it has on foxes and other predators within 100 yds.

I've been predator calling for around 20+ years. The first dozen or so foxes I shot were left with grapefruit size holes using factory 55 grain soft points. Average shots are 100 yards to 30 yards.

I've since gone to a .22 wmr and .17 hmr and am happy with the results on smaller fur bearers. However, I've had a lynx and coyote get away after being hit with the .17 hmr. that no doubt would have been put down with the centerfire.

I'm thinking that my .22-250 with a 55 grain bullet with mv of around 2,800 fps might be enough gun to put down the larger critters, but not so much to blow up the foxes. Realistically, I don't hunt areas requiring shots over 200 yds.

Am I on the right track, and is there a load that you recommend?

Posts: 12 | Location: AK | Registered: 21 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Have you tried FMJ bullets; they might let a critter run away though. Starting loads for a 222 go about 2800; look at some of those and realize that your velocities will be less with the larger case capacity. Do not use a really slow powder; use the fastest ones they list. (detonation)
Shoot a critter and see how bad the damage is.

Posts: 17290 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with 55gr sierra game king bullets in my 22-250 running at about 3300fps. Minimal pelt damage on coyotes and bobcats..usually an exit hole the size of a dime. Our bobcats are not a whole lot bigger than a fox...but ymmv...

Z

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Yes, in fact I have tried FMJ but still had pretty devastating results on a fox at 50 yards.

Riverrat, are you shooting soft point or hollow point game kings?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok , then use less powder.

Posts: 17290 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My results using FMJs was that the animal, especially coyotes, didn't realize they were dead until they had covered quite a bit of ground.
If you can throttle back the 22-250 until you can use one of sx bullets that were designed for .222 velocities, it might help.
My solution was to switch to a .223 and slow it down and use a hollow point bullet.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I used FMJ and didn't have an issue. Also used fragile varmint bullets and they would usually turn the inside to Jelly and not exit.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting Blue-dot in a .22-250 with 45 gr Barnes TSX. I have to look in my load book to see how much I shoot. But they chrono at about 2800 fps.

It is data from a poster with the username Seafire.

I bet this load with that bullet would accomplish what you want.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37892 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AM...I have been using the game king spitzers. I haven't tried the hp's. That particular Sierra is a pretty tough bullet. You could probably reduce the velocity several 100fps if you wanted to.

Z

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old you might want to try 20 grains of 4759. That will put you very close to what you want and no danger of a double load.

You might try 15 grains of blue dot but there is a danger here off throwing a double charge. USE CAUTION if you use the Blue Dot. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Problems with reducing velocity are increased drop, more consistent exit holes, and less sudden kills.

In the late '80s we played with various .224 projos in the Swift and .22-250. Every 52 and 55 gr projo we used made consistent exits from woodchucks. We went heavier, ie., 60s and 63s, to reduce wind drift. Noticed the exit holes were larger.

The 50 gr Rem PLHP was interesting. We never got exits on chucks, just a .224 entrance and pulped insides. We were launching them between 3800 and 4000+ fps.

Didn't try them on coyotes, but suspect exits would be rare. Last I checked PLHPs were no longer available, so I'd try currently available frangible 40 to 50 gr heads loaded to .22-250 potential.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Average shots are 100 yards to 30 yards.

I've since gone to a .22 wmr and .17 hmr and am happy with the results on smaller fur bearers. However, I've had a lynx and coyote get away after being hit with the .17 hmr. that no doubt would have been put down with the centerfire.

I'm thinking that my .22-250 with a 55 grain bullet with mv of around 2,800 fps might be enough gun to put down the larger critters, but not so much to blow up the foxes. Realistically, I don't hunt areas requiring shots over 200 yds.

Am I on the right track, and is there a load that you recommend?

I have found that foxes, because of their size are a different ball of wax from coyotes. My experience mirrors some of the posters above, especially as it pertains to fmjs....Im not a fan.
What I have found is a well constructed bullet-55 grain Hornady or 60 gr.NBT- moving slow minimizes pelt damage on the little critters. By slow I mean 2650fps or less. A full load of Trail boss will give you about 1950 fps-similar to a .22WMR . These loads usually group very well and shoot flat enough for those 100 yard shots. Be aware however that their POI will be radically different than full power loads. You will get exits with these loads, but they are generally dime size or smaller.

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just do 222 rem. or 223. It is easier to load down to velocity you want. If you want to down load a caliber, why start with a bigger case?

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
old you might want to try 20 grains of 4759. That will put you very close to what you want and no danger of a double load.

You might try 15 grains of blue dot but there is a danger here of throwing a double charge. USE CAUTION if you use the Blue Dot. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Remington 50 gr soft points. They go in and rarely come out. They turn the inside too jello

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bartsche. What bullet configuration do you recommend with that 4759?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arcticmanak:
Thanks Bartsche. What bullet configuration do you recommend with that 4759?

Roll EyesYou might try the Speer 55gr. Trophy bonded bear claw. It holds together somewhat better than many of the other 55 grain bullets beerroger

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting 52 and 53 grain Sierra Matchkings at 3700 fps and have not had any exits on 5 of the last 5 coyotes I've shot broadside. That bullet may exit on a fox or bobcat though as they are smaller and I'm afraid it would be a mess if it did exit..
If the FMJ's tore them up then the only thing you can do is to create a lighter load using FMJ's or an explosive bullet.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Snellstrom.

I'm wondering if it is possible to reduce the velocity to around 26-2800, and use an explosive bullet that will not exit?

...Or, use a heavier solid bullet, soft point or fmj that stays together......I would be happy with an exit as long as it doesn't leave a gaping hole.

I have much to learn. Thank you.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I run the 36 grain Barnes varmint grenades at 4300 fps out of my 22.250. It makes a caliber sized hole on entry and then shatters inside the Yotes.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice!

posted Hide Post
Smiler

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fjold:
I run the 36 grain Barnes varmint grenades at 4300 fps out of my 22.250. It makes a caliber sized hole on entry and then shatters inside the Yotes.

[/QUOTE
beerroger

Boy ! that sounds like a winner.

posted Hide Post
After doing some research and calling Hodgdon's customer service I found that I can safely reduce H4895 down to 60% of the maximum charge.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H48...%20Rifle%20Loads.pdf

I'm going to experiment with loads that will get me a mv of around 2600 with 55 grn soft points.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried that reduction of 4895 in my .223 and it shot well. Tried it in my .22-250 and it didn't.....just the luck of the draw. I would sure give it a go, my .22-250 has always been finicky...

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 December 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nyalubwe,
It didn't shoot well in your .22-250 meaning that it was not accurate? Can you tell me any specifics? I'm going to the range in a couple days to try out these test loads. I'd like to know what to look for.

posted Hide Post
I took some test loads to the range last week to see how the reduced loads with H4895 would perform. Bullets are 55 grn Speer soft points. Shot at 100 yds. Here is a summary of the results:

25.2 grains of H4895. Average 5 shot velocity: 2400. Group: 1.4"

25.5 grains. Av. Vel: 2378. Group: .6"

25.8 grains. Av. Vel: 2355. Group: 1.1"

26.1 grains. Av. Vel: 2446. Group: 1.26"

26.4 grains. Av. Vel: 2466. Group: 1.18"

26.6 grains. Av. Vel: 2525. Group: .98"

I'm puzzled as to why the velocity actually decreased in the first 3 loads as the charge increased. Is there a particular cause for that?

I thought that the reduction in velocity would remain constant with the reduction of the powder charge (working from the maximum recommended load of H4895), but it actually was about 200 fps less than what I expected in each load.

I might add that I am no expert marksman. I was shooting off a lead sled, but it was -15 F and I was dealing with heat waves radiating off the barrel. So, the accuracy might be better than what these numbers reflect. Smiler

I've made up a few more loads that should put me closer to the 2700 fps that I am looking for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If only that question was simple, and so many answers..

When coyote and bobcat pelts were high dollar, I worked on that problem with a number of calibers...solids let them get away more often than not, so that's not good...

My eventual caliber was a 25-35 I built it from a Savage mod. 219 single in a 25-20 rechambered to a 25-35 WCF. I shot 80 to 120 gr. bullets at about 2135 to 2200 FPS it shot flat enough to 250 yards and I got quick kills with nickel or dime size exit holes that were easy to patch. I think a 30-30 or 30-06 at those velocity would work as well..I know I hated to blow up a$600 bobcat back in those days..I wish I had that little gun back today..Its impossible to find a Savage break open mod. 219 in 25-20 and if you did that caliber is so rare they want and arm and a leg for one..

I been thinking about a 25-35 in a Ruger no. 1, but a 250 Savage loaded down might be a better bet or even a .243 with a 100 gr. bullet loaded down to 2300 FPS..

LIght fast bullets that blow up internally work fairly well but they will blow a coyote in half under certain circumstances or crater the whole shoulder skin and all on a direct shoulder hit..

Whatever you do isn't 100% sure thing in this dept.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 40 gr. V-Max in my .223 @ 3800+ average fps and do not have exits on coyote at any range. I've not used it on anything smaller.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I happened upon a list of test loads used by the Remington Custom Shop. The load given for the 22/250 was 29.5 grains of 3031 with an unnamed 52 grain match bullet. That's below minimum in any book I've ever seen, and speeds are way down into what you are looking for. On the plus side; it is almost uncanny how that load shoots in many rifles.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
My fur gun is a 223 pushing a V-Max at 3600fps.
No exit on coyotes, some exits on fox. Never shot a cat with it.

It works, but can give negative results on fox.

Anything I've ever tried has been a compromise when fox and yotes are possible.

I think Frank might be on to something with the Varmint Grenade.
I will be trying them soon.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have no concern over the "hides," only to stop them in their tracks so to speak. Have Ruger No.1 in 22-250/7 twist bore and plan on using the 69gr SMK/HP bullets. Figure that will chill them where they stand, but will find out in a month or so. Also going to use M14 match grade in 308 w/ 125gr HP bullets to see if that works. Gonna be a lot of fun.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use cast bullets. The 58 grain RCBS mold makes a dandy bullet. 2000-2200 fps does a number on jackrabbits. I didn't inspect for hide damage, but I'd suspect minimal as you wont be getting expansion. This mold is made for a gas check, but I shot bunches of them without the added expense and work of a gas check and results were the same. Makes for cheap shooting and you wont wear out a barrel with cast bullets. I was shooting them in both .222's and 22-250 at about the same velocity.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up settling on a load with a 55 grain solid point bullet at about 2700 fps using H4895.

I did some predator calling in the last week and shot four foxes all at 100 yards or less.

There was more pelt damage than I wanted, but all the critters were definitely in the past tense, with no runners.

One shot at 65 yards through the chest and out the rear hip left a nickel size exit.

One shot at 100 yds broadside through the abdomen made quite a mess. Is there a euphemism for 'gut shot'? Smiler

The next was at around 75 yards in through the rear hip and out the front of the chest with a golf ball size exit.

(Those three were all shot at the same stand, a trifecta record for me, and I even missed another one....all in a matter of ten minutes.)

The last was a few days later, a broadside shot at around 75 yards hit the front shoulder/elbow area and blew up pretty good on impact. No exit.

A 22 wmr would have been ideal on all but one of those shots and would have made little or no pelt damage.

However, I think the same load in the 22-250 with fmj bullets will be better and still have the stopping power if a bigger critter such as a coyote or lynx responds.

posted Hide Post
I hope to get some real world experience with the fmj's soon.

posted Hide Post