Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone sell 6x45 (6/223)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
I know I need to reload this but don't have dies yet and need to buy a box or two to try out a rifle.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the 6x45 is a wildcat and is not loaded commercially by any manufacturer... So short of going to a "commercial" reloader, I guess you are on your own. (I should add, that such places apparently exist, but I don't know how fast or at what price they can deliver ammo??)

While waiting for your dies, you might get away with expanding .223 cases with the expander of another 6mm die (6mm BR, .243 - whatever you have). Bullet seating might be a bit more tricky, although you could try to go the same way, and see if one your existing dies could be adjusted to work in a pinch...

What is your strategy for finally expanding .223 cases to 6mm?? Have you considered using a Sinclair expander?? As far as I have seen, they are pretty good for expanding with little or no runout.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6x45 was loaded for a time by PMP in South Africa - not sure if it is any longer.

When I made some 6x45 cases to check feeding I expanded and seated some 223 in my 243 dies, the results were uniformly awful but then it was my first (and last!) attempt at such esoteric things!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 6mm-.223 (aka 6x45) is one of the EASIEST wildcats to work with. THere is NO NEED for anything exotic. Get a set of dies (less than $30), run .223 cases through, check length, chamfer, deburr -- and you are ready to load.

I am not aware of any factory ammo ever being available in the states, but I guess you could check with some custom companies specializing in wildcat calibers.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I ordered dies and SSP 80 gr. bullets last night so if they get in quickly maybe I can load a few up.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote