Find
Notify
Tools

Help! 6BR is splitting necks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted
I'm new to this 6BR, I bought a nice bench gun from one of my fellow shooters, a gun I myself have shot tight groups ( in the 2's ). Along with the gun came 100 rounds of ammo. After 4 matches I'm down to 54 rounds that have not split the necks! Now I know the brass was old, but..... Is this a problem with the 6BR or is this brass really done? How many reloads can I expect ( I'm neck sizing with a set of Reading dies )???

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Have you annealed the necks? Even when only neck sizing you are working the brass and it will work harden.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Have you annealed the necks? Even when only neck sizing you are working the brass and it will work harden.

Please explain annealing.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please explain annealing

Here is a link to a very good explaination.

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloaderman:
I'm new to this 6BR, I bought a nice bench gun from one of my fellow shooters, a gun I myself have shot tight groups ( in the 2's ). Along with the gun came 100 rounds of ammo. After 4 matches I'm down to 54 rounds that have not split the necks! Now I know the brass was old, but..... Is this a problem with the 6BR or is this brass really done? How many reloads can I expect ( I'm neck sizing with a set of Reading dies )???

Have you asked the friend you bought it from if he had the same problem? How many times had the brass/loads you got with the rifle been loaded before?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

Have you asked the friend you bought it from if he had the same problem? How many times had the brass/loads you got with the rifle been loaded before?

The answer is "many".......could be 3X or could be 87X's, that's what makes me think it's very old brass and it's 'done'.

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Please explain annealing

Here is a link to a very good explaination.

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

A very informative explaination. It makes you think about all that's going on when you pull the trigger! I don't don't think I'll be doing any annealing, I'll just "bite the bullet" and buy me some new brass.( pardon the pun Roll Eyes )
After reading that, I'm sure my split neck problem is brass that is 'done'! Time to replace it! Eeker$$$$

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on